This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

As we are now more than halfway through the semester, the tiredness is definitely setting in. With papers, tests and projects due it can be difficult to make sure you are getting enough sleep. Below are five things that I have found most helpful to get a good night’s sleep.

Aromatherapy

Every night before I go to bed I like to make my room smell like lavender. I used to do this by putting lavender essential oil in a diffuser, but recently I have found a room spray that I prefer. The spray is from Bath & Body Works and it is a Lavender Vanilla Pillow and Body mist. When I get into bed, I spray it a few times to make my room smell nice and I find that the lavender helps me to relax.

Showering at night

I find that showering at night helps me to relax before I go to sleep. I especially find hot water and products with my favorite scents such as vanilla and coconut help me wind down after a busy day.

Watching TV/reading

While many people like to read before they go to sleep,  I personally prefer to watch TV or a Youtube video. I find that this helps me to stop my thoughts spinning around my head and calm me before I go to sleep.

Lighting

Lighting in your room is a key part of the winding down process. I like to have low lighting. I also find that having my LED light on a light purple/pink color helps to create a calming glow throughout the room.

Getting comfortable

Another key part of sleeping well is to be comfortable. Make sure you have your room at the right temperature and wear your most comfortable clothes. I like to have my room cooler and wrap up with a cozy blanket and warm clothes. 

These are just a few things that I have found to be helpful for sleeping well. Keep going on the last push of the semester and try to enjoy the time with your friends before winter break!

Beth Baker

Cal Lutheran '23

I am a senior studying Psychology with a minor in Business Administration. I am interested in fashion, beauty and makeup.