Winter Blues: How to Combat Seasonal Depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Growing up in Alaska, I dealt a lot with weather changes and loss of light that comes with the changing seasons.  And I would, like a lot of people, deal with the “funk” that came with it.  However, these “funks” or “winter blues” can be a lot more than just a small thing.   

Seasonal affective disorder (seasonal depression) or SAD begins and ends usually at the same time each year—spanning usually from the beginning of fall to early spring.  This type of depression can often be brushed off because it is not 24/7, 365 days of the year but that does not mean that it can’t be debilitating. 

According to the Mayo Clinic, SAD often has symptoms of major depression like low energy, feeling hopeless, loss of interest in activities, problems sleeping and changes in weight or appetite.  However, symptoms of SAD may also include irritability, hypersensitivity to rejection, “heavy” feeling in the arms or legs, oversleeping and weight gain.  These symptoms are specific to winter-onset SAD or “winter depression.” 

Contrary to popular belief, though, SAD does not only happen in the winter.  It can also span from spring to summer.  Symptoms for summer-onset SAD include depression, insomnia, weight loss, agitation and anxiety. 

Many people wonder what causes this seasonal depression or why they are experiencing it when the weather hasn’t changed dramatically, however according to Mayo Clinic they say the specific cause is still unknown.  Factors that play into the season affective disorder, though, include our own circadian rhythm or biological clock due to the reduced sunlight in the fall and winter, a drop in serotonin levels due to the reduced sunlight, and even a shift in our melatonin levels which play a major role in our sleep patterns and affect or mood.

So, how can people combat this seasonal depression? 

First a foremost would be to see a doctor.  Doctors can provide the proper diagnosis for your seasonal depression or major depression as well as start you on a treatment plan.  Doctor prescribed treatment can include medication, light therapy or phototherapy, and psychotherapy. 

Second, in addition to doctor recommended plans, those with SAD can combat their seasonal depression by exercising regularly to help relieve stress and anxiety, going outside to get needed sunlight and making their environment more sunny or bright by opening blinds or repainting.  Try changing the lightbulbs in your house or painting rooms you spend a lot of time in happy colors like yellow, orange, pink or white. 

Third, it’s important to take care of one’s self.  This means getting enough rest or downtime, participating in regular physical activity and making healthy dietary choices.  You should avoid alcohol or illegal drugs to find relief.  Suffers should also practice stress management techniques as unmanaged stress can lead to a more severe depression or unhealthy behaviors.  Keep yourself organized and manage your time as well as set a schedule to follow during the winter months. 

Finally, those who have seasonal depression or are at risk for it should socialize and get out of the house. They should make an effort to connect with people they enjoy being around.  This may be hard, especially for those who have a hard time asking for help or are introverted, but it has the potential to make a huge impact.  And, if that doesn’t work take a trip.  Go somewhere new with a different climate and experience new things.  Take a road trip to Florida or New Orleans, or hop across the pond to exotic new places like Thailand and Vietnam.  Although a trip might take some planning ahead of time it will be worth it to maintain your mental state. 

Overall, seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and seasonal depression are more common that most people think.  But there are ways to deal with them.  Look out for symptoms and see a doctor if necessary.  And, from someone who’s lived in a climate with little to no sunlight for part of the year, know that you can get through it.  It gets better. 

Main photo courtesy of Michelle Myhill Photography.  

Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.