When “I’m Fine” Just Isn’t True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Depression is a word that is often avoided at all costs by many people. Some see it as not being able to handle what everyone else finds easy and others think that it is a weakness Mental health is something that should be taken seriously and, in many cases, be lessened in a few simple steps. Students should be aware of their mental health especially during the end of the semester when work load tends to be larger and students get more stressed. Here are a few things to know when dealing with feelings of depression:

1.     Know that You’re Not Alone

About half of all college students experience feelings of depression at least once during their time at college. Many people put on a brave face and try to push away any feelings and “power through” but in the end that can make things a lot worse.

2.     Confide in People You Trust

Talk to any close friends or family about what you are feeling. Talking to someone about your feelings can bring up repressed emotions and get them off your chest. If there is no one among friends and family that you can talk to, seek the help of a counselor through the college or a professional in the community.

3.     Keep Yourself Busy

If you experience the start of any bad feelings, go outside and take a walk, go get coffee with a friend, read a book, or doing something that can distract you. Many students start to feel sad when they have nothing to do or look forward to. Plan something special like a shopping trip or a beach day with some friends.

4.     Stay in Touch

Talk to siblings, parents, and friends from home, they are your original support system! Distancing yourself from people at home and people in college will only make these feelings worse.

5.     Know the Difference Between “Feeling Depressed” and Depression

Feeling depressed happens to a lot of people, but actual depression is different. If you have any chronic feelings of sadness, worthlessness, irritability, sleeplessness, or loss of energy, you could be suffering from depression. Please consult your school’s counseling team and get help.

6.     Don’t be Afraid to Ask for Help

Asking for help doesn’t make you weak; it actually takes the strongest people to reach out to others. Whether is talking to a friend or talking to a counselor, asking for help is one of the best options.

If you, or someone you know, wants help dealing with depression or feelings of depression, please contact CofC Student Health Services or Counseling and Substance Abuse. 

A freshman theatre major at the College of Charleston. She enjoys acting, reading, shopping, and going to the beach. She hopes to either go into costume design, acting, or working for an editorial magazine.