This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

This year I’ve decided that I am going to live as unapologetically as possible.

By a wonderful twist of fate, last semester I was put into a two-person group project with a girl who would become one of my best friends. We instantly clicked, and one thing that definitely helped was that she lives her life 100% unapologetically. Now, this doesn’t mean she’s egotistical, unwilling to change, or anything of the sort. This simply means she is who she is, and if people don’t like it they can keep walking. She knows who she is, chooses not to hide it, and is proud of that fact.  

And that, my friends, is exactly what being unapologetic is all about.

To be unapologetic, you need to know yourself, and never, ever push her to the side to seem more likable to anyone, for any reason. For me, I’m also using this as a way to be less anxious. Because at the end of the day, 1000 opinions from strangers mean nothing. What matters is your opinion of yourself and the people important to you.  And if the people important to you don’t like your unapologetic self, the most you version of you, then, just like the opinion of strangers, they don’t matter a whole lot. So this is a rallying call to all the women out there that might shy away from themselves to be more likable, and who try not to be “too much”, you are freaking amazing!!! Be yourself, and don’t let anyone sway you into a version of yourself that you didn’t choose to be. Be unapologetically you, because you are fantastic.

I am a Junior at the College of Charleston working towards a Bachelor's degree of Science in Elementary Education. Along with writing for HerCampus CofC, I am a member of a religious group on campus, and am in the leadership of the Sexual Assault Awareness Committee. Other than that I really enjoy exploring what Charleston has to offer, and you'll have to read my articles for more!