This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

So I think we can all agree that everything is beyond crazy right now, right? So many things are changing and, for me at least, this adjustment period is pretty hard. We’re all having to learn how to manage with less social interaction, learn how to live at home again, try to do online classes with no motivation, and not freak out every time we see another news article every five minutes. I feel that especially right now we need to remember to take care of ourselves, not only by staying inside (please stay inside), but mentally, too. 

I don’t know about y’all, but being home makes me feel like I’m in high school again and I hate it. Everything feels the same, I’m finding myself in the same situations, and all my same stressors are arising. Additionally, as bad as it sounds, I was not comfortable in my own house. My room didn’t feel like my room, and it felt like everything was so different but somehow still the same. 

I love to distract myself by passing time with my friends. Since that has not been happening now, I haven’t had my usual distractions. I have to say I don’t love it. Regardless of how hard it is, I needed to make myself comfortable again and try to adjust to this new normal as well as I possibly could. The one way I’m dealing with this is by repeating: “Don’t be so hard on yourself”.

School is hard. Being home is hard. Being stuck at home is harder. Nagging myself about what I should be doing only makes dealing with new anxieties harder. If I feel like just watching Netflix all day, that’s okay. If I feel like putting on makeup and getting all dressed up, that’s okay. Whatever makes you feel better, that is okay! 

Though it may not feel like it, this will not last forever. Don’t lose sight of the fact that everyone is struggling with this time just as I am. Just as you are. In the meantime, plan fun trips you’re going to take when all this is over, call your friends and have little “movie nights”, take a bubble bath, read your favorite book. Whatever it looks like for you, remember to take care of yourself and find what makes YOU happy. 

Ava Lubin

C of C '23

Hey! I'm Ava. I'm from Cleveland, Mississippi, and I'm a sophomore majoring in Psychology and minoring in Italian Studies. I love being with friends, going to concerts, and travelling!