Bagels
Bagels
Iris Neubecker
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Many have turned to cleaning or watching netflix as a way to destress during such an uncertain time. However, for me, I have turned to cooking. Cooking has always been something I have been passionate about since a young age, mostly because my parents are restaurant owners. Finding time to cook at college has always been difficult, so instead I created a food instagram to show off some of my favorite eats around the Charleston area (give it a follow: @bellyofboston) Since being home and quarantined I have in fact mastered how to create homemade bagels in which I’ll share with you today. This receipt is so simple and only involves five ingredients! 

Ingredients: 

2 ½ cups bread flour 

½ teaspoon instant dry yeast

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt 

1 cup lukewarm water

Directions: 

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Once ingredients are gently mixed add yeast and water until the dough sticks together. Once the ingredients are combined into a manageable dough, knead the dough firmly with your hands until the dough is no longer lumpy (usually takes around 10 minutes) As a tip, continue to add water or flour to keep the dough manageable, your final product will feel stiff. 

Next, cut the dough in 6 pieces and gently roll them in ball shapes, pressing your thumb in the middle to create a hole. Once you have bagel shaped dough place plastic wrap over the bagels and allow them to rise for 15 minutes.  

In the meantime set the oven to 375, and simmer a large pot of water. After 15 minutes, gently drop the dough into the simmering pot, flipping each 15 seconds through, and place them on a baking sheet. If you plan on adding toppings such as sesame seeds or cinnamon now would be the time to do so. Place the bagels in the oven for 15 minutes and enjoy!

Iris Neubecker is a junior at the College of Charleston, pursuing a degree in Communication and International Studies. Originally from Boston MA, Iris enjoys finding the best coffee shops in Charleston to study at, food photography and chasing a good sunset. Iris is currently planning a month long road trip across the USA!