This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I want to talk about anxiety, depression, and loneliness. So many of us struggle with these feelings every day and night and the truth is, everyone at some point in their lives has experienced feeling anxious, sad or alone. However for some it is an everyday battle. Something that many people try so hard to smother, it ends up consuming them, all because of the stigma that has surrounded mental health for hundreds of years. I personally tried for a very long time to ignore my sadness and anxiety. But it just kept getting worse. It can be paralyzing to the point you are afraid to go out or even talk on the phone. It can get to the point where you have to quit school, as it is so devouring you cannot force yourself to sit in a classroom for hours upon hours. This is the reality that millions of people still struggle with everyday. Mental illnesses are not an aesthetic or quirk, they are destructive and deadly. Well I want you to know you don’t have to live like this. You can get help and start feeling better. 

Help is out there you just have to take the first step. That could be making an appointment with a physician and talking about your health. You might also consider making an appointment with a Mental Health professional. They can address how severe your situation is and help you with a treatment plan that could consist of therapy and or medication. It is common to fear medication and be seen as “weak” for needing it, but having a chemical imbalance is real and a serious health issue that needs to be properly addressed.  

Don’t be afraid or embarrassed to get help. It could be situational or maybe longer term. Don’t suffer in silence,  life is too short. If anyone wants to reach out and talk. I am here. You are not alone.

Madelynn is a sophomore at CofC majoring in sociology with the intention of attending law school after undergrad. She is super passionate about women's rights, mental health, and emotional wellbeing. Her favorite thing to do is relax at the beach or with her pets.