This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I’m tired. I’m tired of living in insecurity and doubt. I’m tired of not feeling enough. And I’m tired of comparing myself. It’s a destructive virus, comparison. It creeps inside your thoughts deeper and deeper until one day you find yourself drowning in the depths of depression and you can’t seem to find a way out. It brainwashes you into believing all the darkest lies about yourself and blinds you from the truth. It steals all the joy from your days and slowly builds up walls you once worked so hard to break down. It offers no escape and before you know it, the lies begin to define you. It will tear you from the inside out.

I’ve been following comparison’s lead for too long and I’m so damn tired. About a year ago I decided that if I kept allowing this disease to eat away at me, I wasn’t going to make it out alive. I wrote this poem because I was tired of being tired, and I don’t think I’m alone in this. 

“The Battle of The Marauder”

And like a thief in the night Comparison came;

So quiet, so stealthy, without any shame.

He plundered the joy and confidence, too.

He left nothing but lies and stole all that was true.

And as he slithered away so quickly,

His victims’ real smiles soon had withered. 

For he had built big walls with insecurity and doubt.

Yes, in fact, that was his escape route.

And no justice was served for the crimes he had committed.

He got away clean, he’ll even admit it.

But his chosen victims are never the same. 

For the lies soon define them.

It becomes their name.

I'm a Psychology major at the College of Charleston with a double minor in British Studies and Criminal Justice. I plan to work for the CIA or FBI eventually and hopefully live abroad. I adore Jesus, poetry, and the mountains, but my only real personality trait is that I'm a One Direction stan. I firmly believe that writing is one of the most honest forms of expression and I hope to bring life and truth to real things we all go through.