Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

How to Start a Workout Routine in Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Trying to stay fit during a global pandemic is no easy task. It’s already difficult to start an effective at-home health regimen, but to start one during quarantine? I’d say the odds are not entirely in our favor. However, it is possible to start a workout routine during social distancing, even if all the gyms are closed. Here are some tips to help you get started! 

You don’t have to buy your workout equipment. 

One of the main reasons to join a gym is because you don’t have to keep dumbbells and free weights lying around your house. However, in the wake of a pandemic, you may find yourself without a gym and without any equipment. It’s not the end of the world! You can make perfectly usable workout tools with things you already have. Use a stepladder to replace a stair climber, or stack boxes for the same effect. Stack your textbooks and use them for weighted squats. The possibilities are endless! 

Have a set time. 

The keyword for a workout routine is “routine”. If you set a time for your workout everyday, you’ll get used to it much faster. Sometimes when it comes to at-home workouts, it’s easy to push it off so long you forget about it. If you have a set time to get it done, it’ll be harder to push off. The most important part is being able to hold yourself accountable. 

Find what works for you. 

Yoga isn’t for everyone. Weight lifting isn’t for everyone. Running isn’t for everyone. Every body type is different and responds to different forms of exercise! Find what works for you and trust your own intuition. It took me eons to find a routine that works because I had a set idea of what I should be doing. You have to feel good exercising, or you just won’t want to do it. Working out shouldn’t be the worst thing in the world! It can be a great stress reliever or motivator. Make sure you’re enjoying it. 

Look for ideas on social media. 

One of the only good things about quarantine is that everyone has more free time, and there’s a lot of people posting their fitness tips and videos onto different platforms. TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram are all great places to find good workout tips. If you’re a College of Charleston student, the fitness center is live-streaming workout classes on their Instagram page

Encourage yourself. 

Lastly, the most important thing you can do is encourage yourself if you start a new routine. Sometimes it’s really hard to get going or find the motivation to start something, so make sure that you are supporting yourself! 

At-home workouts don’t exactly replace the gym, but they can get pretty close! Make sure you enjoy your routine and that you’re doing what feels good to you. Everyone is different and everyone will have different ideas for what the “right” type of exercise is. Just focus on yourself and remember — you’ve got this!   

Early Childhood Education | Psychology 4th year student at CofC, fan of cats, coffee, and New Girl