bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

7 Wellness Tips to Fight The Freshman Plague

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

As a college freshman, I have noticed the overabundance of kids sneezing and coughing throughout the hallways of dorms and in my classes. Talking to my friends also just starting college, they are shocked at how easily and frequently they have picked up common colds. Living at college is almost like living in a petri dish of germs – but not to fret, here are seven tips on how to fight the freshman “plague.”

1. Take your vitamins

Your mother was right all those years! Vitamins are essential to immune health overall and may be that extra boost you need. Vitamin C and D, as well as zinc and echinacea, are amazing immune boosters. You can get these vitamins through foods as well as supplements and powders. 

Pro Tip: try the brand “Airborne” in gummy or water tablet form. They have essential cold-fighting vitamins and are easily accessible at any local drug store.

2. Wash your hands

Self-awareness is vital! Germs can so easily be spread through something as minor as touching a door handle or touching a desk. Always wash your hands before touching your face or eating. 

Pro Tip: bring hand sanitizing wipes with you so you can save time and keep clean!  

3. Shots shots shots!

Wellness shots are an excellent way for a quick boost! You can buy these at any local juice store and most grocery stores! Juice shots with ingredients like ginger, lemon, turmeric, elderberry, or honey are great for blasting a cold away.

Pro Tip: buy a shot that emphasizes that it is for your immune system! There are many different kinds of shots that have all kinds of healing properties, make sure you get the right one!

4. Eat your fruits and veggies!

Foods with nutritional value will be important in helping your body fight off unwanted colds. 

Pro Tip: make it your goal to eat a piece of fruit and a portion of vegetables with each meal. Foods that are great for fighting colds include: ginger, garlic, cayenne, most green vegetables, apples, oranges, and lemon. 

5. Drink fluids

Drinking lots of water is known to cleanse your body immediately and will get rid of any unwanted bacteria and germs! 

Pro Tip: drinking teas such as “throat coat” or “lemon ginger” are amazing for colds! Also, always bring a big reusable bottle with you and keep refilling it throughout the day. Set a goal to drink a certain amount of refills!

6. Get some rest

Sleep. Sleep is one of the most natural ways your body heals itself. Make sure you do not push yourself too hard while your body is trying to catch up.

Pro Tip: make sure you are in bed early and that you get most of your work done earlier in the day so you can maximize your time for relaxation. 

7. Wipe it down!

A unique yet vital tip to save yourself from nasty germs! Using a disinfecting wipe, you should wipe down everyday use objects such as your phone, computer, desk, and doorknobs. It may sound weird, but cold germs can get on these objects, and it is good to be extra cautious.

Pro Tip: make it a first priority when you get home after a long day. 

Starting college isn’t easy, and the last thing you want to do is get stuck with a nasty cold right as midterms begin. But if you follow these tips, you’ll stand a better chance of avoiding the freshman plague!

My name is Bella and I'm originally from both England and Connecticut and I'm currently a freshman at CofC.