Wellness

5 Ways to Take Care of Yourself When You’re Going Through a Rough Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Maybe you’ve had a rough week, or month, or maybe a whole semester. Whatever it may be, we all go through hard times, but in the midst of the chaos, it’s very important to do some things that can help your mindset and get you back on track to where you need to be. If you’re feeling this way right now, here are five things you can do for yourself so you can get back to being better than ever.

Indulge

This could mean many different things, but the moral of the story is that it is crucial to treat yourself! Whether that’s a bubble bath and a face mask while you’re binging your favorite show and eating chocolate, or taking yourself out for a nice meal and some ice cream after. Maybe it’s just simply doing nothing all day and chillin’ in your pj’s. Remember that it’s okay to take a YOU day and give yourself all the self-care you deserve. Do something that makes you happy and refreshed, because that is what’s most important here and is a great reminder of the small joys in life.

Go Outside

There’s something so refreshing about getting fresh air after being cooped up inside all day, especially if its after an extreme homework overload. So, go outside, take a walk, look around and remember where you are. When my mind gets chaotic, sitting in Cistern yard really makes all the difference. You can also people watch which is a bonus. Take a moment to embrace where you are and the nature that surrounds you. This is a great way to give yourself some peace and just enjoy the silence.

Find an Outlet

This is super important to really take control of your emotions and not let them take control over you. It is very necessary that you find a way to control your stress in a healthy way. Personally, my outlet is the gym. A good workout always clears my head. Journaling is also another great peaceful way to let out how you’re feeling, especially if it’s something you don’t care to share with anyone else. If you do want to vent though, talking to friends and family can be the best medicine in the world. Go home for the weekend and spend time with your parents, surround yourself with those you love the most. Support goes a long way and is sometimes all we need to get back on our feet.

Get More Connected

Grow closer to yourself and in touch with how you’re feeling and why. Try to understand your emotions and pay attention to how you react to them. Finding the answers to these questions can guide you to the root of the issue and how you can best approach the situation and ones like it in the future. If you’re a spiritual person, grow more connected in your faith. Whatever you believe in, get in touch with your highest self and know that the universe has your back and is rooting for you always. Every trial or stressful moment is just a test. And you will come out stronger.

Shift Your Perspective

It is so easy to get caught up in our day to day lives and problems and stuck in the moment of a hard situation and think your life is over or that you will never get through a stressful period. It’s easy to believe that you’re alone and that no one could possibly understand how you feel. But in times like these, it is so important to take a step back and really think about it. Zoom out of your current situation and look at the full picture. As big as our problems may seem in the moment, I know my perspective instantly changes when I look up at the sky and the stars and realize just how small it all really is. Realize that you’re never alone and there are so many people going through similar situations just like you. Especially if you’re an overwhelmed student. If you were to pull aside any student on campus, that’s one thing everyone can agree on and relate to. It can get tough. Even if it’s not school that you’re caught up in, we all have struggles, usually not visible to the eye. But know that everything passes through. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Trust in the process and remember that life can’t possibly be full of all great moments. It is a complete balance of both and as painful and disheartening as the downs may seem, they get us to where we’re going.

Hi, my name is Samantha! I am a senior here at the College of Charleston and am majoring in psychology. My interests include music, beauty, fitness, good food, and the city of Charleston!