This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Self-care can take many different forms, and all are very important! Taking care of your mental and physical well-being has such a positive impact on your quality of life. Here are some of my favorite ways to care for myself!

Give Therapy a Chance.

I am a firm believer that counseling can change anyone’s life for the better, whether you’re coping with something like grief, trauma, or mental illness, or just stressed with school or work. Therapists provide you with the mental and emotional tools to be able to handle whatever life may throw at you, which is helpful for anyone in the long run!

Drink Lots of Water.

This is a common mantra, but it’s true! Staying hydrated keeps our skin healthy and our body happy. Most of us don’t drink enough water in a day, so try to make a conscious effort to keep yourself hydrated.

Sleep!

Many of us college students get very little sleep, and combined with stress and the typical college diet, it wreaks absolute havoc on your body and your mental health. Make an effort to go to bed early on days when you have class or work in the morning– try to get at least 7 hours!

Take Time for Yourself. 

It’s really important to be comfortable with your own company and take personal time to relax. There’s nothing to be afraid of when it comes to taking time for yourself! Be single, stay in your room and watch Netflix, or do a face mask. Strengthening your relationship with yourself is so important – solo meditation is also a great practice to get into.

But Also, Don’t Isolate Yourself – Socialize a Healthy Amount!

While time to yourself is important, so is time having fun with friends! A healthy dose of social interaction does wonders for your mood. If you aren’t into partying, having a few good friends that you can call up to hang out when you’re bored is absolutely a necessity. It keeps me sane! Even studying together is a good way to be productive and hang out with friends.

Elizabeth Jane is a psychology major in the Honors College at CofC. She loves cats, books, and all things beauty. Follow her on Instagram @xlizabethjane for more!