This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

So, we’ve all been there. Another ball drop, another round of resolutions that we’ll inevitably drop. We’ve just bought that gym membership, and since it was so much money, we’ll definitely keep up with it, right? Wrong. Whether it be a new diet we’re ready to try, a gym regimen we’re already dreading, or a never-ending list of books that’s a little too intimidating, we’re all familiar with the unrealistic resolution. So, instead of just sitting down and admitting defeat, try one of these five realistic resolutions to kick your 2020 into gear.

Shop Sustainably

Listen, we all know how bad fast fashion can be, but it’s just so easy, isn’t it? But this 2020, challenge yourself. Spend a little more time in a Goodwill or your local thrift store instead of heading to the mall. Not only is shopping sustainably great for the environment, but it’s also rewarding! Saving the planet + spending less money on clothes + developing a closet that’s unique to your style = one great resolution.

Read More Often

I’m not going to lie, my resolution this year was to read a little every day. I failed on January 1st. Intense reading goals often lead to failure because our lives often get so crazy. Who knows where you’re going to be next month? Don’t rely on yourself to be able to finish that giant novel in whatever timeframe you’ve mapped out. Instead, just promise to read more often. Look at how many books you read last year and promise to do one or two better. If you fall behind, you can always catch up!

Self-Care

We’ve all had those nights where we can’t sleep and we inevitably spend hours on social media. Why not throw on a face mask while you’re at it? Let’s be honest, no matter how great we think 2020 is going to be, there’s going to be some stress involved. But instead of crumbling under the pressure, take care of yourself this year. Spend more time looking at dog Instagrams (check out my previous article for some great recommendations) or develop a skincare routine. This resolution will definitely pay off.

Make Phone Calls

Okay, yes, making phone calls can be very stressful, but not when it’s to your friends. Texting can be a great way to chat quickly, but nothing beats hearing someone’s voice. Meeting face-to-face can be hard to organize in this day and age, but phone calls can be an alternative. It’s a great way to catch up with someone you haven’t heard from in a while. Next time you want to tell something really exciting to a friend or family member, instead of texting them, call them and ask them how their day was.

Be Conscious of Your Food

Going full vegan on January 1st with all those holiday leftovers in the fridge can be daunting, to say the least. Instead of eliminating huge parts of your diet, try to be more conscious of what you’re eating. How much sugar do you eat in a day? How many carbs or cups of dairy? Are you getting enough protein? Not only will this lead to healthier choices, but you’ll feel more energized once you know that your food is working for you.

Margaret is a student at the College of Charleston, where she majors in International Studies and English. She is from Charlotte, North Carolina.