Wellness > Mental Health

4 Reasons to Seek Therapy in College from Someone who’s been there

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Before embarking on my freshman year of college, everyone told me that it was natural to be nervous but excited for the new experience. After all, there were bus and class schedules to memorize, professors to meet, friends and other potential colleagues to hopefully make long-lasting connections with. Exceeding academically in high school, I came to college confident that I could conquer any challenge I faced, but mentally I might not be at my best.  But stress is a part of being a college student, right?

Well, I realized that college was taking a bigger toll on my mental health than I originally thought it would– I realized it’s not normal for any student to randomly cry during the day, not be able to sleep or to feel hopeless from an overload of classes, work, and other activities. My family suggested that I should seek therapy, but I refused because I didn’t want to be labeled as “mentally ill” or “crazy”. I finally learned to swallow my pride and seek therapy, which was one of the best decisions of my life. Trust me, it is not easy sharing your life with a complete stranger– but once you open yourself to that experience, you’ll understand why it is so rewarding.

Letting It All Out

Whether you are dealing with a huge test or a roommate dilemma, letting out emotions and feelings is always helpful. Holding in your emotions can turn into a disaster; you might unleash your emotions and frustrations at the wrong people or at the wrong time. Being vulnerable at the start is key to reducing stress and seeking help with anything you are dealing with.

Learning About Yourself

Talking to a therapist opens the door to learning more about who you are as a person. Nearly 1 in 5 university students are affected with anxiety and depression. It wasn’t until meeting with a therapist that I realized I was showing severe signs of anxiety and depression. Therapy will challenge your ways of thinking, feeling and behaving. As a result, you are growing as a person and figuring out who you want to be as a person in every aspect of life.

Talking To Someone

Communication is an essential life-skill; communication with others can be difficult, especially during a conflict. Therapy can help a person learn coping skills and communication skills. You may feel like a wreck spilling out your emotions to a therapist for the first time. However, when you start to seek therapy regularly, you begin to develop communication skills to effectively communicate your thoughts and feelings to someone else. After talking to a therapist, many students find the confidence to speak out to their peers and family about their conflicts. 

Therapists and Professionals Are Here To Help You

Many college students shy away from seeking therapy from the fear of not being understood or judged. Campus counselors and professionals are here to help you; counselors and professionals work to provide a welcoming and non-judgemental environment so that students feel safe enough to open up. Don’t feel that you are the only person that is seeking therapy; many students are filling up counseling centers to seek help.  According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, the demand for mental health services and support in colleges is expected to increase in the next several years. The increase in enrollment alone is justification for expanding and enhancing mental health services and supports available on college campuses and communities. Just visiting your university’s mental health center can be the big step towards seeking help and helping professionals help other students.

If you’re feeling overwhelmed, like everything’s going wrong for you, or even if you just want to gain a better sense of self-awareness and grow as an individual, I strongly suggest you seek therapy. Know the signs and seek action once you notice those signs. If I didn’t have the courage to seek help, I wouldn’t be the person that I am today. No, I am not perfect, but now I’m starting to re-evaluate myself and my habits and want to grow as a strong and resilient person. “More than 75 percent of all mental health conditions begin before the age of 24”, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Once you take that chance to seek help, you’re starting on the right path of finding yourself.

Loreal Nix

C Mich '21

Loreal Nix is a student at Central Michigan University majoring in Journalism with a minor in Broadcast and Cinematic Arts. She works for a multitude of publications, such as EMCEE and CM Life. Loreal strives to be influential to women, especially black women and insists that any woman can pursue a journalism career being 100% themselves, not conforming to social standards. She recently started her own personal blog titled "Live In The Mix", which is featured on her social media.