Wellness

The Benefits of Hot Girl Walks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Whether you lead an extremely active lifestyle, enjoy lounging around, or both, simply going on walks can help you in a variety of ways. With the sudden social media craze of “Hot Girl Walks” on the rise this past year, it is safe to say that this is one of the most non-toxic trends that have surfaced via social media. This fad calls for taking a walk either outdoors or on a treadmill, whichever is your preference! There are numerous benefits linked to this part-time hobby. Listed below are just a few of them:

• Good time to clear the mind
    • Going on walks allows for the free-flow of ideas and added mental space. In turn, this can increase creativity, productivity and provide clarity. Walking has also been proven to be a mood booster. It also helps significantly lower feelings of depression and anxiety.
  • Self-paced activity
    • Since this is an exercise with low expectations, it is especially great for beginners. Running, lifting, and exercise group classes can be intimidating for many, walking is something you can do at your own pace. There is no sense of pressure to lift a certain amount of weight or keep up with anyone else, which is a beautiful thing. There is no such thing as too short or too long of a walk, so listen to and learn about the demands and needs of your body. 
  • Plethora of health benefits
    • Walking for just 10 minutes a day has been scientifically proven to improve cardiac health, prevent excessive weight gain, reduce risks associated with chronic diseases, and help with depression, anxiety, and other mental illnesses. Over time, your resting heart rate will also lower and it’ll be easier to walk at a fast pace without losing your breath.
  • Can be proactive and productive
    • With the busy lives we all lead, hot girl walks don’t have to only consist of walking (unless you want them to be of course!) By listening to podcasts, online lecture videos, or your favorite music, you can get a couple things done at once. Think of the two birds with one stone metaphor!
  • Explore new places
    • Walking outdoors will allow you to really take in and appreciate the details of your surroundings, even in mundane settings. This is something that you can’t really do while driving by in a car. You can also try new routes each day to discover new paths and areas. Once you feel comfortable walking medium distances, hiking will be a breeze for you. This will allow you to take in numerous new sights and locations. 
  • My personal tips:
    • Dress accordingly with the weather. If it’s cold and you’re not dressed appropriately, you will definitely be miserable, and vice versa. Make sure you are comfortable.
    • Invest in a pair of comfortable walking, jogging, or running shoes once you know this is an activity you want to commit to. Having proper footwear can make all the difference!
    • If you’re going for a long walk, take water with you! Dehydration really is the enemy. 
    • If you’re feeling ambitious, adding ankle weights can help to tone your leg muscles.
    • Coordinating hot girl walks with a friend can allow for both consistency, and quality time together.
    • Challenge yourself! You are capable of walking much further than you may expect, and the endorphins will feel amazing afterwards!
Sarah is a senior majoring in Political Science and Psychology. She loves the color forest green and is a Taurus. She likes to relax by going to the gym, going on hot girl walks, watching reality TV, and just hanging out with her friends!