The HC Study Breaks You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s midterm season. Hooray. Don’t overwhelm yourself with too much work at a time, take a study break! HerCampus has some tips for you to have the most effective study break you have ever had.

According to the Mayo Clinic, meditating for a few minutes every day not only reduces your stress levels but also fights and prevents depression, high blood pressure, and so much more. How do you meditate? It’s as simple as going somewhere quiet, focusing on your breathing, and taking in your surroundings.

Nap. Give in and just do it. For memorization, 60 minute naps have been found effective, but others function better off of short 10-20 minute naps.

WORKOUT. It may seem counterintuitive, but working out can increase your energy levels to your work. We all know it gets the endorphins going, which are actually perfect for a mind refresher. Your mind will be clear and ready to tackle more work.

Here are some Bucknell-exclusive spots to try out next time you need a break!

The Soldier’s Memorial Park is located right next to the river on N. Water Street. It may be dull and ugly now, but come spring, the trees will blossom and it will be the perfect place for a complete detox. Getting away from campus every once in a while is important for putting everything in perspective. You really don’t realize how much of a bubble you’re in until you spend a few minutes in serenity away from all of your responsibilities.

Go to 7th St Cafe or The MacDonald Commons but not to study. Meet up with a friend and talk about anything but academics. Try your best to avoid chilling in your dorm just hitting up friends online or over text. Chatting with people online does not cause the same relaxing feeling that in person communication causes. It has to do with oxycontin (the “bliss” hormone) and serotonin (the sleep, mood, memory, and learning neurotransmitter) in the brain, which are both important for study breaks!

Best of luck!