This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Staying energized without that boost of coffee in the morning sounds impossible, but it isn’t! Even though caffeine may seem essential, it can have many side effects such as anxiety, insomnia, digestive issues, and fatigue. Thankfully, we’re here to share some alternatives that will keep you awake all day! 

1. Exercise

This tip may seem like it will make you even more tired, but the opposite is actually true. Exercise releases norepinephrine, endorphins, and other chemicals that triggers you to feel awake. The next time you’re feeling like you are dragging, take a walk, hop on the elliptical, or try out a new fitness class.

2. Drink some H2O

When you’re feeling tired, that could actually be your body’s way of telling you that you’re dehydrated. To keep yourself hydrated, snag a cute water bottle from Target and tote it around with you everywhere for when you need a little pick-me-up. 

3. Bellows Breath

Test out this cool breathing technique! It was first used in yoga, and it wakes you up instantly. With your mouth closed, rapidly inhale and exhale through your nose. Repeat this quickly with short breaths for about ten seconds. This technique can be repeated as many times as you need!

4. Chew gum

Chewing gum has been shown in studies to kick midday tiredness. It has also been shown to increase concentration and reduce anxiety. The next time you notice yourself dozing off in class, pop in some gum!

5. Take a nap (seriously!)

Sure, this sounds like a no brainer, but there’s a catch: nap only five to twenty-five minutes no less than six hours before your normal bedtime. Sleeping more than this will leave you groggy. However, taking quick naps has proven to be as effective as caffeine. 

Going without caffeine may seem impossible, but with a little motivation and effective tips, it is possible! Say good bye to unwanted side effects and walk into a new life of feeling alert and energized.