Feature Hero Skin Type Herojpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Feature Hero Skin Type Herojpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Megan Charles / Her Campus
Wellness

Why School Makes Our Skin Break Out—And What To Do About It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Have you ever wondered why you get more breakouts and look worse in general during the school year? Have you noticed your skin looking all glowy during the summer? Chances are you’re not the only one to have observed these skin changes over time. 

It may seem pretty obvious that the reason why our skin breaks out is that we are under constant stress during the school year. But you may not be aware of the science behind this concept, and it’s important that you do. 

Our body produces the hormone cortisol in response to stress. Although the correlation between stress and acne is not yet completely understood, increased cortisol levels in the bloodstream trigger greater sebum production in the skin. Sebum is oil, and excessive oiliness triggers breakouts. In essence, our skin gets oilier and more acne-prone as a result of stress. I can recall several instances in my life when stressing out led to breaking out. It can turn into a vicious cycle— noticing acne, stressing about it, and causing more acne. 

A field you may be unaware of that takes a closer look at this interaction is psychodermatology. Psychodermatology involves the use of psychological practices to treat skin conditions and considers the relationship between the mind and one’s skin when addressing skin disorders. The field is still growing, but one thing we can learn from psychodermatology is the potential to incorporate psychological therapies into our daily routines for the added benefit of healthy skin. Addressing psychological distress might just be the missing step in your skincare routine. If you find a way to cope with stress and to improve your mental health, you won’t just feel better; you’ll look better. Meditation and progressive muscle relaxation are just two of the techniques that can be used to lower stress and treat anxiety.

Unsplash
Because of a psychological phenomenon known as the spotlight effect, we tend to believe people are paying much more attention to us than they actually are. In other words, every person lives under a spotlight that is invisible to everyone else. When a pimple appears on your face, you see it as a big juicy mammoth that eyes are glued to during conversations. In reality, the blemish is often not nearly as noticeable as you think. Interrupting such negative thinking patterns is key to decreasing stress and decreasing flare-ups, according to Dr. Richard Granstein, a researcher and dermatologist at Weill Cornell Medicine. Granstein states that cognitive-behavioral therapy can help put an end to the spiral of stressing and stressed-out skin. 

The next time you are applying moisturizer, consider meditating for a few minutes after! Your skin will thank you. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Marena is a sophomore at Boston University studying psychology and journalism. Outside of HCBU, her interests include creative writing, singing, and adventure! Find her on Instagram @marenamosher