What I Learned From Taking My Boyfriend to Barre Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Let me start by saying, this is not the first time I’ve dragged my boyfriend to a group exercise class where he is the only male, so the all-female intimidation factor was gone. This time was different though. Most classes will have a guy here and there – this is more common in yoga and TRX. But barre on the other hand has been consistently female dominated since it became the “new workout trend.” That didn’t deter my boyfriend from walking into the class with a boldness and assertively saying, “Listen, if they’re going to judge let them, but I don’t give up. I’ll show them. I can do it.” That was a big claim, especially when talking about a group of women who come to this same class three times every week. They know their stuff and, well, he doesn’t. Nonetheless, he set up his mat right in the middle of the bar, asked an abundance of questions and tested his flexibility.

The instructor was thrilled to finally have a guy in the class, but the other barre-goers seemed skeptic. He got plenty of sympathy smiles, and girls, you know what I am talking about. We have learned a lot and grown a lot since we started working out together. Barre, however, was another step up. This is what we both learned:

1.  Confidence is more important that you think.

It takes a lot to walk into a class and be the new person in the sea of regulars, let alone the only guy. It is also nerve-wracking to workout in front of people so closely. You have to be confident and self-assured just to get through the door and come back.

2. Barre is not just for women.

Contrary to popular belief, barre is very beneficial for men as well. Any sort of increase in flexibility will help with your overall workouts, improve your blood flow and benefit your day-to-day life in general.  The movement of barre pinpoints particular muscles, and just because men are built differently than women does not mean their muscles won’t be shaking after too.

3.  Couple exercise builds a new level of trust in relationships.

To workout with anyone can be daunting—what if you can’t keep up? What if you embarrass yourself? What if you are trying to impress that person? Bringing a significant other into the mix adds a whole new context to those “what ifs.” It brings out greater vulnerability. But it also creates a new level of comfort and builds a new support system. For what is perhaps one of the rarer times in a relationship, you two are actually having the same experience, and you do know exactly how the other is feeling. You lift each other up, cheer each other on and are there for each other when needed.  Couple exercise takes trust, but it builds even more trust between partners as a result.

4. Exercise can be fun if you make it fun.

We make exercise fun by going to classes we enjoy together, or if we are feeling particularly lazy, by taking a nice long walk to get some much-needed fresh air. Try new things, find what you love and bring who you love with you. Create an environment for yourself filled with support to make the frustrating times lighter and the good times brighter.

5.  Barre helps you gain a new appreciation for your body.

No one expects that doing tiny little movements could make your body and muscles burn the way they do. Rather than being discouraging, it makes you proud to see what your body can handle and how you’ve pushed yourself. You’ll feel accomplished when you work your muscles to the point of shaking, let alone when you manage to complete the whole workout. You leave feeling proud of yourself and good about your body, which isn’t always the easiest thing to do.

So don’t be afraid, men or women, to take a barre class. Bring a friend and laugh at each other while you make weird faces from all the burning in your thighs.

Sophomore studying Communication Studies and Sociology at Boston University. When not frolicking around campus she can be found at Yogawroks or a cute coffee shop around Boston with her camera (except on Thursday nights which are dedicated to Shonda Rhimes.)
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.