This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I don’t know where or when we got the idea that lifting weights would make us bulky but that LIE has been halting our progress for probably centuries now. Had we’d been spending as much time bench-pressing as we do on the elliptical, we’d all be much happier girls. While we were wasting time doing the squat/ab/leg challenge, those chicks in the weight room were getting our dream bodies by lifting heavy weights. The fact is, as women we simply don’t produce nearly enough testosterone to get bulky so all those female bodybuilders we see with an enormous amount of muscle mass have gotten it via steroids, not from simply lifting.

I mean, you don’t take my word for it; research it for yourself. There is a ton of information and studies done (if you’re the type that requires scientific evidence) to support what I’m saying. The key to looking sexy is lifting heavy so it’s time we ditch those cute little 3lb dumbells and head to the squat rack. Forget about getting “big and bulky” because it’s just not going to happen. 

I will admit that stepping into the weight room at FitRec may be a little intimidating at first, especially without too many friendly female faces around. However, it’s honestly not so bad once you make that first step. If you don’t know how to use a machine, don’t hesitate to ask for help, guys love being given the chance to show off their gym IQ. Also, using a machine incorrectly or exercising without proper form can lead to disaster and have you out of the gym with an injury for weeks. However, never let any guy speak to you in a condescending manner or chase you off the squat rack or a machine; you have just as much right to be there as he does. I’m not sure at what point in our history we were told that our place in the gym is among the cardio machines or in the Pilates studio (probably around the same time we were told our place is in the house) and I’m not negating the value of either of those but it’s certainly time we incorporate some form of weightlifting into our fitness regime. It’s a little tricky to figure out all the fitness jargon etc. at first but Google and Youtube are your best friends and before you know it words like “superset”, “pre-workout” and “muscle confusion” will all be a regular part of your vocabulary.

Due to the superficial world we live in, we tend to only focus on the physical and that generally tends to be a significant part of our motivation at the gym; for the most part, we want to look good. While this is a totally valid reason and lifting weights will definitely help you get there, we shouldn’t overlook the most obvious pro of weight-lifting which is you get stronger. There’s no better feeling than touching your leg and realizing there’s muscle there that wasn’t there a few months ago. The subsequent confidence boost when you realize that you can now run faster and jump higher; in the event of a crisis, you can pull yourself up without any assistance–which is basically up there with getting your eyebrows done or acing a test.  Your physical strength will finally match your inner strength. That is the biggest benefit of weight-lifting and the feeling is addicting. Yes, you will feel like crap some (most) mornings when your arms feel like lead and your legs feel like bricks. But trust me, the pain has never been more worth it. 

For a little inspiration, here are some of my favourite female fitness pages on IG. They are super inspiring and helpful for me and I hope they will be for you too!@mankofit@lyzabethlopez@instafemmefitness@michelle_lewin_@biancaspicer@kee_ma_la_shmexy

Happy squatting ladies!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.