Wellness > Health

POV: It’s 9 P.M. and You Realize You Need Food ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ahh, midterm season. Late-night cram sessions, library naps, and almost neglecting your basic needs. Here are some easy, nourishing meals to sustain you when protein bars and microwavable meals just don’t cut it anymore.

Article Photo
Original photo by Lani Beaudette

If you have rice in the pantry and veggies that need to be used up, try a teriyaki stir fry. The great thing about this meal is that it’s very adaptable. I like stir-frying red bell peppers, green beans, and tofu in sesame oil then adding a quick teriyaki sauce. I mix ¼ cup soy sauce, 2ish tablespoons of water, some garlic & ginger, maple syrup & sugar to taste, and cornstarch to thicken. Feel free to use a store-bought sauce or substitute with whatever you have on hand. Serve with rice for a complete meal.

mug food network chocolate?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Photo courtesy of Food Network Kitchen

If the only clean dish you have is a mug, try mug recipes.

Microwave mug cake recipes are pretty popular, but I think their savory counterparts are pretty underrated. I think the most foolproof mug recipes are the simplest — think mug frittatas, omelets, or tofu scrambles. Experiment with different spices and mix in your favorite ingredients for a flavorful meal.

If it’s been way too long since you’ve had a vegetable, try sheet pan dinners.

Minimal prep, effort and clean up? Yes, please. I firmly believe that roasting anything makes it more delicious and these recipes get extra points for keeping scurvy away. Two recipes I often riff off of are this piri piri one tray bake and this cajun tofu & vegetable recipe. Some recipes call for longer baking times (though it’s pretty hands-off), but you can easily get around this by using softer vegetables that cook quicker.

Your meals don’t need to be complicated or instagrammable, but you do need to eat regularly … even if it is midterm season.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.