you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Pull a Successful All-Nighter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

by Masha Komissarova

I know pulling an all-nighter is not the best thing to do, but sometimes, it works. It worked for me; I had five assignments all piled up and I realized that if I wasn’t going to do them all that day, I was going to fall behind in my classes. Here are my tips to help you finish all your work in one night: 

Let’s get started: 

1. Make sure you don’t have school the next day!

Or at least make sure you can get 4-5 hours of sleep in the morning. I had my all-nighter Friday night so that on the weekends, instead of stressing out about doing tons of homework, I just reviewed it. 

2. Eat a healthy dinner (save the sugary snacks for later)

Proteins, carbs, meat, fish, veggies, etc. Whatever you like—just make sure it’s healthy because healthy food = a good, working brain. 

3. Turn on as many lights as possible.

Create a clean space around you with no distractions whatsoever. Create a plan of your studies. Do the hardest subject first, the easiest later. Set goals that you will achieve. Good general timing is 30 minutes, then, if needed, take a break. 

4. Snack time.

Tea, coffee, candy, etc. Get up and walk around! Your body is just as tired as your brain. 

5. Get back to work.

Work another hour and again, take a break. After finishing half of your work take a shower, go outside, etc. Take a “big” break. Aaaand work again. Chew gum (that helps me). This time, try to finish everything. The feeling of finishing all your work will be much greater than sleep. Well…hopefully. But remember! Don’t force yourself. Sleep deprivation is a serious issue and a major concern that doctors care about, so I highly recommend not doing this often. Only when you absolutely need it. 

Good luck! And remember: “If it is important to you’ll find a way. If it’s not, you’ll find an excuse.” – Ryan Blair 

Congratulations! You have finished all your work. Now, you can rest!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.