Style > Beauty

How to Keep Your Hair Shiny, Thick, and Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Hair is one of a woman’s greatest and most prominent accessories. A haircut or color change can change our entire look. With that in mind, it’s important to invest in and thoroughly take care of our luscious locks. Although most of us just shower, rinse, and go on with our day, hair needs a lot more care than that in order to keep looking thick and healthy. Say goodbye to bad hair days with these tips:

Massage

If your goal is to have long, thick hair, then scalp massages are key. Even doing it for a mere five minutes a day can make a dramatic difference. Scalp massages relieve tension, allow for better circulation, and promote healthy hair growth. Although massages activate dormant hair follicles in order to promote new growth, it’s even better to massage with oils such as rosemary or coconut oil. My go-to product is from The lnnate Life called the Rose Hair Elixir. It’s a mix of more than 15 organic oils that tame frizz, add shine, repair damaged hair, and nourish split ends!

Go Sulfate-free

Whether you dye your hair or not, you should always opt to get sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. Sulfate-free cleansers maintain the natural oils our hair produces, essentially allowing the hair to retain its moisture. Using sulfates can make the hair dry and brittle. The only time you should use sulfates is if your hair is on the oilier side or if you have dandruff. In this case, a sulfate shampoo would be beneficial in absorbing and getting rid of the oils in the scalp.

Eat Smarter

Genes determine hair texture and curl, but our diet is what partly determines what genes get expressed. Healthy fats and quality proteins are key nutrients that your hair needs to grow strong. Foods such as salmon, eggs, avocados, nuts, vegetables, and berries are all great choices. How fast and strong your hair grows depends highly on what you consume!

Brush Everyday

Brushing your hair not only untangles it, but makes it healthier, especially when you do it on a regular basis. Brushing everyday helps to exfoliate the scalp and remove dead hair and skin. This is best accomplished by using non-plastic brushes. Plastic brushes tend to damage the hair and produce static. Instead, use a boar bristle brush or wooden brush for optimal results.

Ditch Hot Tools

This can be the hardest tip to follow, but keeping hot tools at bay helps lessen hair damage. If you can’t stay away from your hot tools, like me, use protectant sprays or try and lessen your usage of them. Instead of using heat every day, try to keep it at twice a week, or better yet once a week! Trust me, your hair will look a lot “cooler” when you finally decide to ditch the heat.

Use Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is my favorite oil for keeping hair healthy. Coconut oil is rich in vitamins and minerals that your hair needs to stay strong and silky. Leave it on your hair overnight and shower it out in the morning. Ever since I added this into my routine once a week, my hair looks better than ever. Now, I can’t live without coconut oil.

Getting healthy hair doesn’t happen overnight — but by following these tips, your hair will go from flat to fab sooner than you know it! As hairstylists like to say, “Hair doesn’t make the women, but good hair definitely helps.” Healthy hair helps boost volume and self-confidence.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

ielwaw@bu.edu
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.