This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Maybe it’s transferring to a new college or maybe it’s the global pandemic, but if you’re anything like me, you’re probably feeling pretty lonely these days. With the way the world it is, it’s incredibly hard to meet people or maintain any sort of normal social life, leading a whole lot of us to feel rather alone in the world. However, all hope is not lost, and here are some things you can do when you start feeling lonely.

Call Some Friends

Although it may sound like a very simple solution, sometimes calling some friends is the best solution to loneliness. Just because you can’t see them in person doesn’t mean you can’t be in touch with them at all. Even if you’re like me on a new campus, you can always call friends from home or elsewhere. Hearing a familiar voice is always helpful when feeling alone. 

Try a New Club

I know what you’re thinking, “it’s a pandemic, all the clubs are online, I won’t meet anyone.” So, yes, clubs are mostly online right now, but you’d be surprised how you can still meet new people. Most clubs are doing some sort of weekly meeting, usually over Zoom, so that provides some much needed social interaction. Plus, it is a great way to meet new people with similar interests to you.

Plan Virtual Parties/Events

It can seem kind of ridiculous at times, but a virtual party with some close friends can be a great time. If you can get a bunch of your friends on Zoom it can sometimes feel like a real social gathering. Plus, you can use things like Netflix Party or Jackbox Games as feature events to keep things interesting.

Reach Out to Someone New!

Although it’s incredibly scary, sometimes the best thing to do when feeling lonely is reach out to someone new! The honest truth is we are all in the same boat right now. A lot of us are feeling a little lonely so reaching out to someone may be a totally welcomed gesture. Ask someone in one of your classes or clubs to join you for a socially distanced coffee or a meal over Zoom. 

Overall, loneliness is spreading rapidly during the COVID-19 pandemic. It can be really hard for many of us to feel like we’re thriving socially. However, even when it seems impossible, there are many things we can do to feel a little less lonely.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Monica is a Junior at Boston University studying English Education.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.