How to Conduct a Successful Mid-Semester Reflection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Spring Break is a great time to relax, go out with friends, visit family, or even travel around the world. However, we do come back to college a short week after that, so it’s important to take a step back and reflect on the beginning of the semester. Whether that means reconsidering the clubs you want to be a part of or checking that you have been taking care of your health, this mid-semester reflection will ensure you are happy and back on your feet when coming back to campus after the break!

1. Take a hard look at your academics

It may be difficult to think of classes and look at the grades and feedback you’ve gotten so far, but it is so worth it. If your study method hasn’t proved efficient, it’s time to switch things up and rely on all the resources available to you. I, for one, make a vow to go to office hours at least once in the rest of this semester because I know I need more help than I like to admit. If you feel like you dread class, it might be wise to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor after the break to discuss your major or minor. Additionally, spend some time researching your degree requirements on the university’s bulletin and track your progress on the Student Link to make sure you’re on track for graduation and plan next semester’s classes.

2. One, two, three clubs … Oh, my!

If you sigh every time you look at your schedule, it could mean that you’re not as excited about your extracurriculars and outside commitments. Think of a meeting you consistently want to skip and reconsider if you still want to be part of that club. On the other hand, if you feel like you have found your safe and happy place on campus and your schedule allows you to get more involved, don’t hesitate to take on a leadership position or simply go the extra mile in that club! It’s all about being passionate about what you do – and having the energy to keep doing it.

3. Check your mental and physical health

Let’s face it: staying healthy in college is crazy hard. I’m the first one to forget about medical appointments or skip on self-care nights to cram for an exam instead. Take Spring Break as an opportunity to reflect on how you have been doing – physically and mentally. If you notice that you have a few habits that are detrimental to your health, find small ways to implement positive changes in your daily routine, whether that means sleeping in or going to therapy. Personally, I have been pretty good about going to the gym consistently – that is, twice a week instead of twice a semester. I’m not kidding, I wish I was. However, I haven’t been good about taking a night off every week to spend some well deserved time with me, myself, and I in order to process all the stuff that’s going on, watch Grey’s Anatomy (loyal fans, wya?), and put 5 layers of lotion on my face that has suffered from the Boston cold.

4. Remember what the world is like outside Commonwealth Avenue?

Did you spend the last few weeks stuck in your college bubble? I know I did. If you’re like me, come up with a bucket list of places or neighborhoods you want to visit by the end of the semester and make it a point to cross an item off your list once a week. You’ll be surprised how exhilarating and refreshing it is to swap our crowded Commonwealth Avenue for the peaceful harbor! Even studying in a new coffee shop a few T stops away from campus makes a difference.

5. Friends and family

Lastly, reflect on your current friendships and family relationships. Does it feel like some people drain your energy? Promise yourself to have a kind but honest conversation with them about how things are going between you two. On the other hand, if you feel like you haven’t spent as much time as you want with certain people, text them and schedule a time to catch up and get coffee with them after the break! Ask them to go see that one movie or exhibit with you and enjoy some #qualitycompany.

It’s important to reflect on how your semester has been going so far to ensure things go smoothly when you come back, but don’t forget to give yourself an actual break and don’t obsess over your past mistakes or hardships. You got this!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets

Ariane is a senior at Boston University pursuing a dual degree in Journalism and Political Science with a minor in Public Relations. She loves exploring coffee shops and hanging out at the Harbor. When she's not writing and editing for Her Campus, Ariane talks about women's achievements on her radio show "Ladies of History."
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.