How To Be a Friend to Someone with A Mental Illness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In today’s day and age, the conversation surrounding mental illness has become much more accepted. However, it still has a ways to go and the stigmas surrounding prevalent mental illnesses like depression and anxiety are still present and unacceptable. People who have depression or anxiety are not weak, they are strong and they deserve to be treated as such. You may know someone in your life with a mental illness or you may suffer from one yourself. Whatever the case may be, we all need to know how to be a good friend to someone with a mental illness.

We hear the phrases “I’m so OCD” and “Ugh, this week is making me depressed” thrown around all too often. For people who are actually diagnosed with OCD or depression, these phrases can be hurtful and they can reduce their illness to a socially acceptable joke/norm. It’s not that hard: don’t joke about mental health, it only furthers the stigma surrounding mental illness. I know this may seem tedious to some people and you might think you aren’t being hurtful because someone has told you it’s “okay” to talk like this. But if we want mental health to be taken more seriously, comments like this have to be eradicated.

It’s important to just be supportive of your friend. You don’t have to be by their side 24/7 but if they need you, be there for them. It may take a lot for someone with a mental illness to voice their feelings so when they do, don’t turn away. Even the smallest acts of just listening to them and sitting with them can be a source of comfort. Something as simple as this might not seem like a big deal to you, but you have no idea how positively impactful this could be for your friend. Also, don’t be afraid to ask them what they need from you. Sometimes space is important and being able to have an open conversation about this is important.

Don’t get mad at them for canceling plans. Activities that you might find easy may be challenging for someone with depression or anxiety, such as getting out of bed or hanging out with friends. It doesn’t mean they don’t like you or want to be your friend, it just means you need to be understanding. If you do think something’s off in your relationship, always speak up and ask! Chances are they might just need some space.

Being a friend to anyone requires respect and being a friend to someone with a mental illness should be no different. Don’t be afraid to have a conversation with your friend about what they need from your friendship.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Lucy is a junior studying Psychology at Boston University. She lives in San Diego but prefers Boston. She has one cat but she would really like a large dog. You can find her lounging on the Esplanade, binge-watching Netflix in her room, or hanging out with friends on the BU beach. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.