stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Healthy Hideaway: How to Boost Your Immune System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Let’s face it: cold and flu season is upon us. As the streets of Commonwealth Avenue start to grow cold and millions of germs begin to fester in the halls of Warren Towers, our immunity goes down. Getting sick in college is unavoidable, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t lessen the horror of lying in bed for five straight days, miserable and unable to breathe. To avoid a spooky season full of terrifyingly high fevers and a ghostly pallor, check out the list of ways to boost your immune system below!

Get your flu shot!

This one is a must. There are no excuses when it comes to getting your flu shot (other than a fear of needles…then you can get the nasal spray!). While not always 100% effective, flu shots are a safe and secure way to prevent yourself from contracting at least one strain of the flu. The flu is an extremely dangerous virus, having hospitalized and killed numerous people in the United States. Do the responsible thing and head to CVS for your free flu shot today!

Catch some zzzzs.

While this seems obvious, a good night’s sleep is one of the easiest and most effective ways to prevent yourself from getting sick. The body needs sleep to heal damaged cells and fight off infections—by getting eight hours a night, you’ll be able to wake up clear-headed instead of foggy-brained. 

Snack on citrus.

Citrus fruits—like grapefruit, oranges, mandarin oranges, lemons, and limes—are concentrated with Vitamin C, which is one of the most essential vitamins for immune system health. While spinach, red bell peppers, and broccoli are also great foods for boosting the immune system, citrus fruits are typically more convenient. Snack on a clementine while walking to class or add fresh lemon juice to your water! You won’t regret it when you feel healthier and more energized. 

Lay off of the caffeine.

Yes, we’re in college. And yes, caffeine is one of the only ways we can get through those dreaded early mornings and late-night classes. However, next time you stop to grab a cup of joe at Pavement, think about your immune system. Caffeine is known to serve as a detriment when the body fights against diseases; drinks like coffee, Redbull, and other energy beverages are especially bad. If you really need a pick-me-up, try opting for green tea instead! It’s healthier, more natural, and just as effective. 

Exercise! Exercise! Exercise!

While walking to and from classes is a fantastic way to get your steps in, hitting up FitRec is even better. Exercise allows the body to grow stronger, allowing it to fight off diseases more efficiently and with much more force. Even adding in one workout a week or a bike ride on the Esplanade will help your body defend itself in a much more energetic and powerful way.

And there you have it! None of the above are cures for the dreaded fall cold, but they may help you prevent it for a bit longer. Don’t forget to wash your hands often, use hand sanitizer, and drink lots of water. Stay warm and stay healthy, Terriers!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Amille is a senior at Boston University pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English. Her passions include travel, cooking, and creative writing; when she isn't testing new recipes and working on her first novel, she's spending time with pets and making memories with family.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.