Healthy Alternatives for Sugar Cravings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Maria Komissarova

Have you ever felt drained of energy in addition to your skin looking dull? That’s probably because you’re eating too much sugar. 

Sugar is one of the most addictive drugs out there and many people abuse it daily. Spring break is coming up, and I want to give you some substitutes of sugar so your mind and body will reward you when you get back to your college after the break. For every unhealthy food, remember that you can find a healthier alternative. 

If you’re craving something cold like ice cream, juice all the berries you like, (add a banana), some milk and put it in the freezer. There you go. Just like ice cream but without processed sugar and syrup. You can drink iced watermelon juice. You can buy a watermelon, cut it up and put it in the juicer. Don’t forget to add ice! 

If you’re craving something sour, whip up some DIY lemon bites: take 1 lemon, cut it up and put (little) sugar on it. Put that all in the fridge. With this treat, you will satisfy your sweet and sour cravings at the same time. I recommend eating this with tea (no sugar there though) so that the liquid would dilute the sugar and it won’t stay on your teeth. If you don’t have time to make lemon bites, you can easily eat green apples, they’re like natural sour gummies. 

Some warm things to consume during this cold weather are hot chocolate, not store bought: buy purely dark chocolate and heat it up and add some milk. You can also substitute honey instead of sugar with your tea or coffee. I personally like to add lemon. 

Don’t cut out the sugar from your daily routine all at once, that might be hard and you’ll come back to it sooner. Rather start slowly and stop adding sugar to 1 food you usually do. Allow yourself one cheat day every two weeks but try to make it on your own rather than buying because anything store bought has more than sugar, preservatives and unhealthy chemicals. 

Cover photo credit: UX Design

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.