A Good Food Guide to Become a Better Version of Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Why wait for the new year to have a “new me?” Here are some simple food habits that will help you feel like a better version of yourself!

Plan your meals

Planning ahead and writing down your menu for the week will not only help you stay organized but also motivate you to adhere to it and eat healthily! I usually tend to resort to unhealthy, instant meals like noodles or take-out because it’s hassle-free and I often cannot think of something healthy and quick to whip up during a busy day or I don’t have the ingredients at home. Writing it down at the beginning of the week will ensure you have the ingredients at home and that you won’t have to spend time thinking of what to cook on that day.

Eat out less

While quarantine has helped us all with this one, following from the previous tip, try to avoid ordering in. Instead, cook for the whole week and store it in containers so all you have to do is heat it up and voila! Your meal is ready to eat. Eating take-out unnecessarily leads to higher calorie consumption and large portion sizes which sometimes causes overeating.

Expand your collection of recipes

Finding new recipes that suit your dietary needs will help you keep your home cooking interesting and––who knows—maybe you won’t even care to order take out after that! Be it a new salad or a new way to cook your favorite ingredient, the number of recipes available online is endless, so get searching and get cooking!

Increase the quality of your food, not the quantity

While eating everything in moderation is okay, learn to pay attention to the source of your food: Is it free of chemicals? Is it free of preservatives? Are you sure that it’s all fresh? If the answer to any of the questions above is no, it’s time to reevaluate where you get your produce from. Remember, you are what you eat, so stick to clean, organic and fresh produce if you can!

Healthy, but make it colorful

A general rule of thumb to ensure you’re getting all the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals to enrich your body is to look for the colors of the rainbow in your food! You can toss some of these ingredients into a salad, veggie power bowl, or a quick stir fry—it’s absolutely delicious and obviously, very, very Insta-worthy!

Hopefully, these tips will inspire you to broaden your horizons when it comes to eating healthier.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

My name is Anoushka. I am a Senior at Boston University, studying Journalism and Advertising. I am from Mumbai, India, the land of spices, culture, and colour. I love singing and basically anything that screams music. When I'm not writing or belting the notes to my favourite Adele song, I enjoy trying new foods (cooking and eating, of course), travelling around the globe, and looking for new ingredients to add to my superfood stash.