Life > Experiences

Confronting Change and Facing Fears: Thoughts From a Second-Semester Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I am terrified of the future. It’s as simple as that— my impending departure from collegiate life has shaken me to my core. I know that this next chapter is an exciting time— one full of possibilities, experiences, and memories that I will hold dear forever, but it’s also one of major uncertainty.

For the last four years, I’ve been running, scrambling, and sometimes coasting up a mountain, on top of which sits my degree. Education, growth, laughter, and love have imbued my time at BU with value beyond description— so what happens after all of that is done? What happens when the exams, papers, and projects are behind me? Am I just expected to jump off the mountain I just climbed and see whether I fly or fall? 

I know that my situation is not as dire as my paranoia states. My time at BU has left me with a host of knowledge and a wonderful support system but just because I’m not alone in this change doesn’t make it not scary. 

So how does one get past the breach? How does one confidently leap off of that mountain of academic achievement and soar into her next life with assurance that everything will work out? 

I haven’t quite figured it out yet, but I’m sure going to try. 

I will not give up on the excitement of young adulthood before it’s even begun. 

Instead, I’m taking things one step at a time: apply to jobs when I have a spare moment in my day, talk to friends and family when everything is too overwhelming, and trust in myself and my education to get me through. This is my recommendation to all of my fellow second-semester seniors who are struggling with the unknown, because we deserve to give ourselves some credit. 

We’ve done too much work to give up at the first sign of change. From countless hours working on assignments in Mugar to our own personal battles with mental and physical health (hello pandemic, I’m talking to you!), we owe it to ourselves to stride forward with optimism, positivity, and the understanding that we can accomplish our goals. 

Yes, the future is scary. Who knows where we’ll be in three months after we’ve moved our tassels over on Nickerson Field and popped bottles of champagne by Marsh Chapel. The fact of the matter is that we don’t know what will happen, and for the first time in our lives, we will be truly free to explore all of the possibilities that the world has to offer. 

This spring, take pride in yourself and find the joy in the unknown. I’ll be right there with you, taking things one step at a time until things feel right. The future is out there for you to take, so grab hold of the reins and get going! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Amille is a senior at Boston University pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English. Her passions include travel, cooking, and creative writing; when she isn't testing new recipes and working on her first novel, she's spending time with pets and making memories with family.