Style > Beauty

Breaking Out? 7 (Seemingly Obvious) Things You Can Do Right Now to Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Breakouts are going to happen. There are ways to avoid them, but once they happen, we are often left with nothing to do but send our friends Snapchats and pile on the concealer. But do not let breakouts ruin your day, your week, or your month! Here are some tried and true things to do to make your latest breakout clear up ASAP.

Wash your face

Feel oily? Wash your face. Just woke up? Wash your face. Just worked out? Wash your face. Heading to bed? Wash your face. Use a gentle cleanser and a CLEAN towel constantly. Warm water to start and open up those pores, and a splash of cold water at the end. I’m sure you’ve heard this one before, but trust me. The classics are classics for a reason.

Wash your pillowcase

Always have an extra pillow case on hand for when you don’t have the energy to do laundry, but your face is looking less than ideal. During a breakout, I find that switching my pillowcase about every other day helps my skin heal in my sleep. Bacteria and dead skin (yum) can pile up without you noticing. Take the extra step!

STOP touching

I mean it. Please, please stop touching your face, Throughout the day, your hands can get pretty gross with all of the germs you pick up. No matter how much face-washing you do, try your best to avoid picking at acne and spreading the daily germs to your face. I know it’s hard, but it will be worth it in the end.

Drink water

Yeah yeah yeah, I know you have probably heard this a million and one times. But truly, being properly hydrated is so important for every organ in your body, including your skin! Try your best to polish off at least eight glasses of water per day. Get those in throughout the day, not just at the end of the day when you realize that you haven’t had a sip of water yet. Wake up, drank.

Get some sunshine

As we get into the colder, drearier months of the year, try your best to get some sunshine on your face. I have no idea why, but being in the sun just makes your skin clear up almost instantly. Go for a run, walk, stroll, bike ride, rollerblade, whatever floats your boat. Just get out there and soak up the rays (with sunscreen, of course!)

Sweat and Shower

Ah yes, the ‘ole sweat n shower. Stay active, move your body, sweat it out. But when you’re done, don’t just go home and sit on your bed. Hop right in the shower and wash all of that sweat off of your face ASAP. This will help immensely with body acne too! Keep those pores clean! 

Maybe ditch the makeup?

I’m sure all you want to do right now is slap on some concealer and get on with your day. Resist the temptation. Makeup has the tendency to clog your pores and leave you in worse shape than when you started. So take the day to go bare-faced. Trust me when I say, nobody notices your breakout as much as you do. Or at all.

Breakouts are the worst, but they’re part of life. When one happens, take the opportunity to promote a bit of self-care in your life and give your skin some much-needed love. And if these tips don’t work, no worries! This is just what I have found works for me. If you suffer from severe and chronic acne, these tips obviously won’t be enough to help you out, so go see your dermatologist! They’ll be able to help you out a bit (a lot) more than me.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Freshman from Milwaukee, Wisconsin studying Journalism. Passionate about animal rights, food, current events, comedy, and (of course) writing!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.