stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best On-The-Go Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In college, hearing someone talk about their busy schedule is pretty regular and expected. Not only do most college students balance a four or five credit course load, they also participate in extracurricular activities, have a job or two both on and off campus, or volunteer for their community, and the list goes on and on.

Trying to fit in a well-balanced diet and workout schedule can be very tough, yet as most people reiterate – and for a reason, I must say it works – be sure to keep a consistent routine and make these two subjects priorities on your list. Maintaining a healthy diet on a meal plan, though, can be even tougher. Although colleges have definitely stepped up their healthy food game in the last few years, finding options on campus and on the daily isn’t so easy, especially for those just starting their first semester.

I’ve always been raised on a Middle Eastern diet, and typically my mom cooks relatively healthy meals at home. Even when I was in high school, and especially during cross-country, crew, and track season, she made sure that I packed a few snacks with me to bring on the ride home.

Basically, I was so used to having my mom’s daily reminders that when I first came to college, I really wasn’t used to buying my own groceries or planning my meals around a class schedule.

Thankfully, BU has a number of food locations on campus, and all of which carry a variety of options that hinder any sort of craving. And don’t worry, trying to stay on the healthy side won’t be as a difficult as a seems, as long as you look carefully enough.

As I said before, sitting down to have three solid meals a day in college can sometimes seem impossible. So, that’s where snacks come in handy! 

During the week, there’s definitely a few snacks I could not live without. Whether it’s while I’m running late to class, after a hard workout, or between jobs and extracurricular activities, these snacks save me on the daily and give the exact energy boost I need to get through the day. 

1. Apple/Banana Chips

I honestly don’t know how I didn’t have these every day before college – they are SO good I practically live for them! They’re sweet, crunchy, and best of all, so healthy, especially if you can find the raw and natural brands, like BARE, without any added oils.

2. Chocolate

I loved chocolate before college, but I never thought it could be a healthy option since I usually loved it on some type of dessert. When I started food shopping at on-campus grocery stores, though, I found the brand TAZA. TAZA is a type of stoneground chocolate that comes in a vast number of flavors, like coffee, cinnamon, and even vanilla (which seems odd, but I promise it tastes amazing!).  And, what’s even more mind blowing is that it’s 100% organic and only has three to four ingredients, like cacao beans, cane sugar and vanilla beans. 

PUBLIC INSTAGRAM: @tazachocolate

3. Granola Bars

Okay, this one might seem super obvious and standard, but I’m telling you that the brands I buy are not only healthy, but taste amazing. LARA-BARs are seriously one of my favorite go-to snacks. When I found out that something could taste like a peanut butter cookie and only have three ingredients in it, I was amazed. They come in over fifteen flavors, and can satisfy any sort of craving you have – from banana bread to cherry pie to blueberry muffin, you will not have to worry about getting sick of any flavor!

PUBLIC INSTAGRAM: @larabar

So, next time you find yourself on the go, be sure to stock up on some of these healthful snacks and you’ll be set for the day!

Hello everyone! My name is Athena Abdien and I am sophomore writing for HerCampus at Boston University studying political science. I love the city of Boston and all that it has to offer, and I thoroughly enjoy using the accessible resources surrounding me day-by-day that benefit not only my skills as an academic, but also as a professional seeking a career conjoining politics, the general humanities, and journalism.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.