7 Things I Learned About Self-Care as a College Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I could make hundreds of lists about the stuff I learned in my first semester of college, but I think some of the most important things I learned during my first few months of living alone can all fall under the category of how important self-care is both mentally and physically. Here’s a list of seven of the most helpful things to stay sane when college is getting to you:

1. Face masks

Face masks are a girl’s best friend, right after diamonds that is. Doing a face mask is the perfect way to forget about the whole world. Most face masks give you a window of 15 to 20 minutes to just sit on your bed, close your eyes, and relax, leaving you with not only refreshed pores but also a refreshed mind. Tonymoly sheet masks are easy to use and can be found in stores (Shopping tip: Urban Outfitters usually has a nice sale on them)!

2. Sleep  

Sleep, sleep, and more sleep. There is nothing better than a good night’s sleep during college – except maybe a really good afternoon nap. Getting enough sleep is something most parents stress while you live at home, but once there is no one there to bug you about getting to bed before 2 am it’s hard to find that self-control all on your own. You learn pretty quickly that if you have an early class the next day, going to bed at a reasonable time is essential to your mental health. Trust me, get as much beauty sleep as you need because being able to stay awake in classes makes final’s week so much easier.

3. Keeping up with work

Procrastinating is a part of life for most people, but keeping up with your classes is so important. Not just because it’s why you are in school to begin with, but because the stress level of a student on Monday morning who did all their work is significantly lower than that of a student on Monday morning who still has 3 books, 8 papers, and 23 math problems all to do by 10 am…I promise.

4. Making playlists

Countless hours of my first semester were spent making playlists for all different scenarios. Making playlists allowed my mind to wander away from my tiny dorm room to thoughts about summer or a concert. For a music lover like myself, I found making playlists to be stress relieving. If making playlists isn’t your thing, maybe listening to other’s is. Spotify is a great platform to find a playlist for any type of mood you’re in. Whether you want throwbacks, current hits, slow songs, are a party playlist, Spotify is bound to have it.

5. Binge Watching a Good Show

Are you really a college student if you haven’t watched every show on Netflix? My friends are always sharing what new show they are watching with the group. Some nights are best spent cuddled up in a cozy blanket with a good show, good friends, and good snacks. Some recommendations for the best shows: Stranger Things, How I Met Your Mother, Grey’s Anatomy, Game of Thrones, Black Mirror, The Office, and Friends (my personal favorite).

6. Getting Brunch

If the answer to your stress isn’t shopping or Netflix, there’s a good possibility it’s eating. The best time to stress eat is at a Sunday Brunch with some of your best friends who also need to stress eat. Breakfast food is the best food, just preferably not during breakfast time. Brunch is the best meal of the week and most definitely worth the splurge in money and calories. Start your week off right with some good eats!

7. Spend some quality time with some good friends

Sometimes a girl just needs a night in with her girlfriends. At the end of the day, we are all college students who have many of the same stressors in our lives. Whether you are stressing about classes, romance, friends, family, or grades, you are bound to have a friend who is going through the same stresses. Go out or stay in, but no matter what you do, make sure you are making some amazing memories with some amazing people to counteract all the stress that comes along with college.

I could go on for pages about how important self-care is especially during such a transitioning part of your life. Make sure, at the end of the day, you are happy with your decisions and aren’t too distracted by stress.

Here’s to surviving college!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Cover photo via The Odyssey 

Delanie is a senior at Boston University who loves Pavement's iced tea and the Charles River. She has a passion for writing and is on an adventure to find the best coffee shop in Boston. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.