samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Dining Hall Friendly Superfoods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We’ve all heard about what foods are supposed to make us smarter, but eating in the dining hall significantly limits our access to nutrient-rich foods. However, eating healthy in the dining hall can be easier than you think. Here are some dining hall friendly ways to incorporate superfoods into your diet.

Spinach

Dark leafy greens are considered a superfood, but finding kale on the dining hall salad bar is basically impossible. Spinach is always available in the BU dining halls, so add some of this to your salad, swap spinach as your lettuce on a sandwich, or eat it alone! Remember, the darker the better. Super light lettuces like iceberg lettuce have basically zero nutritional value.

Broccoli

Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, Brussel sprouts, and cauliflower are great for you. Raw broccoli is always available at the salad bar and is also usually available steamed as a side for one of their main dishes. You can throw some on a salad or incorporate one of the side dishes into your meal.

Oily Fish

Eating fresh fish on campus is a challenge and isn’t very popular when it’s available either. Fish like salmon and tuna are high in oils like omega-6s that are really important for your health. Since salmon is likely not an option, consider a tuna sandwich from the panini station or adding a scoop of tuna fish to a salad.

Peanut Butter

The fats from nuts are fundamental to our health. Peanut butter is a good way to incorporate those fats into your diet in the dining hall. Don’t feel the need to shy away from the occasional PB&J (if it’s on whole-wheat bread). I also really like eating peanut butter with an apple or a banana for a filling snack!

Berries

Berries are high in antioxidants which are fundamental for our health. Check out the fruit bar in the dining hall because berries are often available. You can throw them on yogurt or eat them plain!

Eggs

Eggs are available in the dining hall every morning. They offer omelets, scrambled, and hard-boiled. Eggs are a great source of protein. They also are a great source of healthy fats if you have them with the yolks. Just eating egg whites won’t provide you with fats, but they are full of protein!

I know it seems impossible to eat healthy in the dining hall. Trust me, I’ve been there! I hope these few suggestions will help you to identify and incorporate new healthy foods into your daily diet! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jillian is a senior studying English Literature at Boston University
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.