Life > Academics

5 Things To Remember During Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the semester comes to an end and finals season quickly approaches, it can be easy to get caught up in a whirlwind of studying and burnout. Here are five things to remember as you enter this stressful time.

Finals are the last push to winter break

It is completely normal to feel burnt out or discouraged by studying. Countless hours spent revising notes and doing practice problems can sometimes make you lose sight of your motivation for the end goal. In these times, you must tell yourself this is the last obstacle to overcome before winter break, a long and hopefully relaxing time spent back home.

You have to stay determined because you may regret it if you don’t. This is not to say you should wear out your mind or body, but you shouldn’t feel as though your hard work is worthless. Keep putting in healthy amounts of effort – your final scores will pay off, and you’ll be on your way home!

Breaks are as important as studying

While anxiety surrounding upcoming exams can make you feel as though you always have to be studying, remember that taking rejuvenating breaks is necessary. While your mind runs a hundred miles an hour with course content, make sure you give it time to rest. After all, study hours are most beneficial if you work in a good headspace. 

Breaks can be anything separate from studying. Taking a walk, taking a nap, watching a show, exercising, talking to friends, and going out to eat can be great and easy ways to remove your mind from academics. 

Take care of yourself

Similar to resting, taking care of your mental and physical health during finals is key to your success. The only way to get 100% of the benefits of your long study sessions is to keep your body and mind healthy. This way, you are always energized and ready to put work into your finals preparation.

Long showers, skincare, eating your favorite foods, meditating, and reading are great ways to center yourself amid the chaos of finals. Perhaps the most important self-care activity is sleep.

Though finals may require long hours, it is important to recognize the importance of proper sleep. Ensure you do not compromise your sleep too drastically by planning study hours ahead of time.

Make plans outside of studying

Finals season can often seem as though it only entails studying. It doesn’t have to be that way! Making time to meet your friends over the weekend can be a great way to keep yourself motivated. Having plans to look forward to can even make you more productive, as you anticipate a time when you will not have to work!

If you responsibly plan time to meet with your friends and have some fun, it can really lift your spirits. Don’t feel guilty about wanting to do something other than studying – you are human! A little fun is needed to prevent burnout.

Exams do not define you – hard work does

This is a cliché, but it’s true! It’s not purely your exam scores that define you, but your drive and determination to do well. Working to your full potential will only result in satisfaction. If you work hard and try your best, you will be without regret regardless of the outcome of your exam. 

While hard work doesn’t guarantee success, it does guarantee that you did everything in your power to perform well. You can’t control the results of your work, but you can control your actions and drive to put valuable effort into studying.

The end of the semester can be taxing, but remember to maintain your health and motivation! While exams are important, remember that your well-being is too!

Good luck with finals! You’re almost done!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Anaina Vineeth is a first-year student at Boston University. She is currently a part of the writing and editing team for HCBU. Anaina has previously worked for her high school's newspaper and her high school's chapter of Key Club as the Editor. Anaina is a journalism major and a public health and data science minor. She aspires to work as a medical journalist, focusing on advocacy for women and children in healthcare. Outside of writing, Anaina's hobbies include dancing, singing, reading, baking, and exercising. Currently, she is on her third re-run of The Legend of Korra and in her Sabrina Carpenter era.