Style > Beauty

5 Skincare Influencers You Should Follow Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

During quarantine, there was an increase in people looking to jump into the world of skincare. The skincare industry is so vast and there are so many things to consider when it comes to a skincare routine. It’s hard to know where to start when looking to develop a routine. Luckily, there are so many great influencers out there educating their followers on skincare and giving great tips to develop your perfect skincare routine. Below are five great skincare influencers you should check out if you’re looking to improve your skincare routine.

Dr. Dray

Dr. Dray is a board-certified dermatologist and has a Ph.D. in molecular biology. She posts a lot of content on her youtube channel that is well researched and explains the science behind skincare. Dr. Dray explores different skincare ingredients and gives evidence-based reviews on various products. If you watch any of her videos you are guaranteed to learn a bunch!

Michelle Wong, Lab Muffin Beauty Science

Michelle Wong has a Ph.D. in chemistry and like Dr. Dray, does a lot of science-based content. Dr. Wong is considered a skincare myth buster. Her channel focuses on reviewing popular claims in the skincare industry and testing the science behind them. Watch her videos to know whether those skincare tricks are truly good for you.

Dr. Angelo, DermAngelo

Dr. Angelo, better known as DermAngelo, is a popular TikTok creator. He creates content best suited for millennials and gen-z, due to the way he formats his videos. Like Dr. Dray, he is also a board-certified dermatologist and provides science-backed information. If you prefer getting your skincare information from TikTok or want to learn the truth behind a lot of TikTok skincare trends, his videos are the best for you!

Dr. Alexis Stephens

Dr. Alexis Stephens is another board-certified dermatologist. However, unlike other the dermatologists on this list, her content is specifically for people of color and people with darker skin tones. It’s important to understand that people with darker skin tones face their own set of unique issues different from those with paler skin. Also, not all skincare products are formulated with darker skin tones in mind. Dr. Stephens is a great creator to check out if you have a darker skin tone so you can get the best information for your skin.

Nayamka Roberts-Smith, LE, Labeautyologist

Nayamka, unlike others on this list, isn’t a dermatologist or a doctor; however, she is a licensed esthetician. An esthetician is someone who attends a training course— similar to a cosmetologist— and gains knowledge about various skincare treatments and skincare in general.  Nayamka, similar to Dr. Stephens, provides a lot of information tailored to people with darker skin tones. She also provides inclusive information about various skincare products and how to apply them. Her content is great for those who want to know the best order for their products, the best way to apply them, and which skincare tools to avoid.

All these skincare creators are considered experts in their field. Watching any of them is a great start in delving into the world of skincare. If you have a skincare concern, go see a dermatologist and get specific information.

Remember to wash your face every day and always wear sunscreen!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

MyChalia is a freshman majoring in English Education in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development at Boston University. She has a passion for education and social justice, as well as creating a loving and accepting community for all regardless of race, gender, sexual identity, etc. MyChalia also has a passion for reading and creative writing. She can be found lost in the isles of a Barnes n' Noble or chilling in a random Boston cafe drinking iced coffee.