This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

No one wants dry, fried, or damaged hair. However, sometimes we unknowingly ruin our hair by using heat every day. Frequently curling or straightening your hair may make your hair look great in the short term. However, in the long term, you’ll have to deal with the damage.

To keep your hair healthy and shiny, here are five heatless hairstyles you can wear overnight or for a few hours to have awesome hair without heat damage. For all of the hairstyles, start with damp hair and use a hair serum or oil to amplify shine and prevent frizz.

Boxer Braids

Boxer braids are two Dutch or French braids on the sides of your head. Often worn by boxers, boxer braids are a great style to wear in between washes or overnight for beachy waves the next day. Click here for a tutorial.

Classic Ballerina Bun

Twisting your hair into a top bun will give you beautiful loose waves and volume overnight. For bigger waves, wear your hair in a single bun. For tighter waves, space buns are your best option.

Rope Twist

A rope twist braid provides a unique hairstyle while also waving the hair. The waves usually look tighter and more natural than the methods listed above, but still extremely beautiful. Click here for a tutorial.

Headband Curls

This method is foolproof. Headband curls give an appearance closest to a curling iron. Use a thick headband for wider curls and a narrow one for tighter ones. Click here for a tutorial.

Bandana Curls

This method is great for thinner hair as it waves the hair like a braid overnight, but keeps the waves loose. Click here for a tutorial.

Show your hair some love and give these hairstyles a try!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Maria is a junior advertising major at Boston University. When not in class, Maria can be found running along the Charles, drawing, getting coffee, and listening to Kacey Musgraves or Stevie Nicks. She hopes to one day be a copywriter or account planner at an advertising agency.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.