This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

We’re in the midst of flu season, which means viruses and bacteria are flying around like crazy. Try some of these natural remedies to help soothe your sore throat this flu season!

Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider vinegar has been used for centuries as a natural medicinal remedy. Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of warm water – the acetic acid will help fight bacteria.

Chamomile Tea
Tea Bag In Mug Moody
Nicole Cacolaa / Spoon

Drinking a cup of (not too hot) chamomile tea can help soothe your sore throat. Chamomile naturally has anti-inflammatory properties and can actually help stimulate your body’s immune system to fight off whatthe cause of your sore throat. 

Salt Water Gargle

Add one teaspoon of salt to one cup of warm water and stir to dissolve. Gargle with this mixture every few hours or so – the salt will help reduce swelling and can help soothe the pain.

Lemon Water

Lemons contain vitamin C and antioxidants which help soothe a sore throat! Squeeze a fresh lemon into a glass of water and, optionally, add a touch of honey.

Jar with lemon
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

Peppermint 

A cup of peppermint tea or a peppermint throat lozenge can help soothe a sore throat because of the menthol it contains (which helps thin mucus and ease a sore throat).

Garlic

Garlic
Kristine Mahan / Spoon
Freshly crushed garlic has antimicrobial properties which can help heal your sore throat. Add it to your meals throughout the day, or take a garlic supplement.

And of course, remember to stay hydrated! 

Find me either eating some vegan buffalo mac & cheese or crocheting up a storm. Or maybe both at the same time.  
Self-Declared Pizza Connoisseur & Designated Champagne Popper