I Went To My First Yoga Class and You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

If you’ve never been to a yoga class, you should definitely think about changing that. I had never been to a yoga class before this past week and I can say it was one of the best things I have done for myself in a long time. I attended the yoga class in the Interfaith Center from 4-5 on Monday (which happens weekly and is free for Bryant students). With all the stresses that come along with college life and the questionable choices we make on the weekends, the fact that this yoga class happens on a Monday afternoon is perfect. You can spend the time thinking about whatever you want, or nothing at all. It’s a great way to start off the week relaxed and prepared for what’s ahead. After spending an hour stretching, breathing, relaxing and twisting myself like a pretzel into poses I never thought I could do, I came out feeling extremely relaxed and ready to take on the week.

Yes, I was pretty sore and tired after but I actually felt amazing. I was so proud of what my body could do. I never considered myself a flexible person and I definitely have a long way to come, but I was surprised by how much of the class I could do pretty successfully. This class is geared towards beginners and the class moves at a slower pace than a lot of other classes, which was perfect for me as a first timer. The teacher was really understanding and offered adaptations if you couldn’t complete the full position.

When you get there they have extra mats if you don’t own one so don’t worry about that. When I walked in the room where the class was being held, it was very full and a yoga mat with a smiling person sitting on top of it took up almost every inch of floor space. Everyone seemed excited and ready for the class, which made me less nervous.  A lot of yoga involves your eyes being closed and only focusing on you, so there wasn’t a feeling of judgment or being critiqued by the other people that were there. The hour went by quicker than I expected and I was actually wishing it were longer when the instructor rang the bell signaling that the class was over. I can 100% say that I will be going back for this yoga class every Monday from now on and I recommend you do the same, trust me!

Flora is a graduate from Bryant University with a major in communication. She moved to Boston after graduating and somehow is already 2 years post-grad. By day, she is a marketing associate but when she's not at the office she loves trying new foods, hunting for the latest trends, exploring the city, going to spin classes, and finding as many cute dogs to pet as possible! Follow her on Instagram @lifeisgoodman