Wellness

How to Stay Focused While Studying for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

It’s hard to believe that the fall semester is already coming to an end when just yesterday felt like move-in day!

Soon, we’ll all be heading home for a much-needed break from the stresses of schoolwork, and we know it can be hard to stay motivated when the end of the semester is so close. But, now more than ever, you need to find ways to keep yourself on track when it comes to your final study days of the semester.

Here are some of our favorite tips to help you stay focused when studying for finals this semester!

Turn off your phone

We know it seems so obvious, but turning off your phone is the first step to staying on track when studying!

Every minute counts when you’re trying to get work don, and you waste much more time than you think texting or scrolling through social media.

Keep this distraction off and away!

Get out of your room

Dorm rooms have too many distractions, making it harder to stay focused on your studies.

It’ll be so tempting to talk with your roomies or lay in bed – so get out of your room altogether! This doesn’t mean you need to go to the library though. They are some less popular but still great places to study on Bryant’s campus — Koffler or the third floor of the Fisher Student Center are a few of our secrets! 

If you can, we suggest getting off campus for a change in scenery during your study session.

Remember to take breaks

While taking too many breaks is a bad idea, don’t forget to give your mind some rest after studying for long periods of time.

After about 45 minutes of reading or studying, your mind starts to go into a “sleep mode” making it harder to focus. Taking short breaks every 30-45 minutes gives your brain the rest it needs while not giving it enough time to get distracted again!

Reward yourself

Giving yourself “rewards” while studying is a great way to stay on track. Promise yourself things like being able to get a snack when you finish reading a chapter, or being able to watch an episode of your favorite tv show after you’ve been productive for a number of hours can be a great way to motivate yourself to focus and get work done!

Study with people who help keep you focused

While friends can be distracting, finding a good study buddy can be very beneficial.

Finding somebody to study with who is motivated to get work done is a great way to stay motivated while trying to review for your big exams. You can quiz each other and discuss key concepts to help give you both a better understanding of the material – win-win!

We know finals season can be tough, but by using some of our favorite tips you’ll be focused, motivated, and able to push through the last of your exams. Good luck with finals, ladies!

Cover | Gif graphics by Giphy

Self-Declared Pizza Connoisseur & Designated Champagne Popper
Boston-based twenty-something who's a self-proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur and Billy Joel karaoke aficionado.