The Best Parts of Suite-Style Living

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Here at Bryant, most freshmen live in standard dorm housing with one direct roommate in halls that house many other roommate pairs. After freshman year, most sophomores and juniors live in suite-style housing which is typically set up to include three doubles, one shared bathroom, and a common room. This addition of an entire suite rather than just one double of two roommates creates a whole new dynamic to living.

Here are some of the reasons why Her Campus Bryant loves suite-style living:

You get to live with your best friends

Not only do you get to pick your direct roommate, but you also get to pick the other people you live with!

Living so close with your friends means you always have someone to fall back on and there is always someone in the suite if you ever need to talk. 

Private bathrooms

This one is huge. 

Having a private bathroom with your own shower, two sinks, and two toilets are such a game-changer. This is especially nice when you want to get ready in the morning and the bathroom is only a few short steps away. 

Plus, you only share the shower with five or six other people, not an entire floor!

Added storage

One of the best parts of living in a suite is all the extra storage you’ll have in the common room! 

If you and your suitemates are willing to put your fridges in the common room along with all your food, you won’t need to worry about finding room for it in your individual rooms. 

Plus, there is a side area meant for storage which is perfect for keeping cleaning supplies and other suite materials!

Additional homework space

The common room serves as a really great space for doing homework on a quiet day. 

If you’re the kind of person who likes to sit on your bed and do homework but you don’t want to disturb your direct roommate, the common room is a great alternative!

Common room events

Having a common room is already really great, but do you know what’s even better? Nights spent with people in your suite playing Mario Kart on the Wii you all share, or sitting down and having a suite movie night!

The options for the common room are endless so don’t ignore it – use it to your advantage!

Suite-living can have its downfalls, but it honestly is such a fun time especially when you’re living with good friends. You no longer have to rely on your small double dorm room, so enjoy this new freedom! 

Cover | Gif graphics on Giphy

Most likely to approach a stranger to say hi to their dog :)
Boston-based twenty-something who's a self-proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur and Billy Joel karaoke aficionado.