Wellness > Health

Working Out Without the Nelson- Two Fitness Influencers to Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Though many of us are back on campus for the new school year, the Nelson Fitness Center, which first shut down in March due to COVID-19, remains closed. Brown’s COVID-19 policy states that “decisions on fitness facilities and recreational programs will be made in accordance with public health guidelines and recommendations;” as of right now, there are no signs of the gym opening up in the near future. While we unfortunately can’t make use of the Nelson, it is important that we continue to work out, as exercise helps maintain both physical and mental health! During the time I spent at home in quarantine, I found two fitness influencers whose workouts I really enjoy.

Rachael Devaux

Rachael Devaux is a registered dietitian and certified personal trainer who streams live workouts on her Instagram account (@rachaelsgoodeats). She offers a wide variety of workouts that focus on different muscle groups. The best part of Rachael’s workouts is that you can do them in real time with her. She does a great job of recreating the feeling of an in-person fitness class. She has hour long videos for you to get a full workout in, but if you are pressed for time, there are also fifteen minute options. Her workouts require minimal equipment, and you can always use items around your room to substitute. If you can’t make it to a live workout with Rachael, she posts them all on her Instagram through Instagram TV and uploads most of them to her Youtube channel (Rachael Devaux). Her videos always have great workout music!

Pamela Reif

Pamela Reif is a fitness youtuber. Similar to Rachael, her channel features videos of all different lengths focusing on different body parts. One aspect of Pamela’s videos that I like is that she doesn’t usually give commentary during her routines. Her videos are typically just her doing the exercises with a small timer in the corner to let you know how long you will be repeating the movement. It is nice to follow along and not have to worry about listening to any instructions. When I do Pamela’s workouts, I frequently do the ab ones. My favorite video is titled “10 MIN INTENSE AB WORKOUT// No Equipment | Pamela RF.” It’s the perfect way to end a workout since it includes a lot of great ab exercises in a short amount of time. Pamela’s Youtube channel is listed under Pamela Reif. If you go to the playlists section, her videos are separated by workout category. Check it out and choose whatever type of workout you want for the day!

Between Rachael and Pamela’s videos, there is a workout for everyone! No matter how much time you have or what muscles you want to focus on, there will be something for you.

Hannah is a sophomore at Brown from the D.C. area in Virginia. She is concentrating in public policy.