Wellness

Five Reasons Why You Should Practice Self-Care Over The Long Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

It’s President’s Day this Monday, and for Brown students that means the treat of a few days off. And while this presents the perfect opportunity to squeeze in a trip or take some adventures with friends, you should save some space to get ahead on your workload, get some good sleep, and prepare yourself mentally for the rest of the semester. Here’s why. 

Illnesses are Spreading

COVID-19 and influenza are running rampant around campus, and tons of students are falling seriously ill regardless of their vaccination status. Fatigue from travel or other kinds of adventures makes your body more susceptible to these diseases. Carving out time for some self-care helps you strengthen and fuel your body and decreases your likelihood of falling ill.  

Midterms are Coming Up

In just a few weeks papers and exams start to pile in, with due dates within days and hours of each other. Midterm season is almost here. And while it can be easy to push assignments off until the last moment, chances are you’ll end up drowning in work, incredibly stressed, and sleep-deprived. President’s Day thus provides the perfect opportunity to catch up and get ahead on your workload and make you better prepared to face the challenges of assignments down the road. 

Spring Break is Around the Corner 

Spring Break is fast approaching! In just a month, another opportunity for travel and adventure will present itself. Additionally professors, aware that students are likely vacationing, typically allow for a bit of a breather regarding assignments in the week following. Thus, Spring Break provides a better opportunity for a boatload of adventures, making it easier to wind down and relax during President’s Day. 

Self-Care Sets Your Body and Mind Up for Success

Self-care is something that should always have space in your schedule. Mental health challenges in the US have increased at dramatic rates – depression and anxiety have tripled during the pandemic. Self-care routines have been clinically proven to reduce these emotional burdens. Self-care can help mitigate stress, increase endorphins, decrease illness, and make you feel more energized. Additionally, it builds resilience and self-love, leading to an increased ability to sustain positive relationships and deal with a crisis (whether internally or helping others through one). 

Elle Horst

Brown '26

Elle Horst is a freshman at Brown University from Northern California. She plans on concentrating in International Public Affairs with a Policy and Governance focus. As an avid journalist in high school, Elle is thrilled to join Her Campus as a staff writer. In her free time, she enjoys drinking good coffee, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, and binging TV shows.