Life > Experiences

Autumn Agenda: An Ideal Rhode Island Fall Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

It is officially autumn, and the falling leaves concur that it is the perfect time to celebrate the new season! It seems as though the weeks of vibrant foliage and pumpkin-infused festivities are ever-transient, so it is essential to maximize each weekend of fall to ensure you fully embrace all the seasonal offerings. As a fall enthusiast, I have compiled a bucket list of both broad and Rhode Island-specific adventures which are ideal activities for autumn:

● Visit a local Apple Orchard & go apple picking! So many delicious fall treats can be made with apples as the key ingredient – my favorite being apple crisp.
● Visit local boutiques or home stores to decorate and enhance your dorm room with seasonally inspired fixtures, such as pumpkins, candles, and string lights!
● Have a Gilmore Girls, Gossip Girl, and fall movie night with friends. Embrace the cooler temperatures with a cozy night inside. Enjoy some popcorn with seasonal delights such as butterscotch chips, candy corn, or pumpkin spice while streaming some autumnal classics. And, for those who are so inclined, consider watching a scary movie as we head into the Halloween season.
● Spend a weekend morning at a coffee shop with a read for pleasure — not work! Enjoy a warm coffee on their fall menu while paging through a nice work of fiction.
● Go to a farmers’ market! Brown students can visit the Block Island Farmers’ Market on Wednesday and Saturday mornings and purchase fresh produce and baked goods!
● Have an evening bonfire with friends & family! Roast marshmallows, make s’mores and sip warm, festive drinks with notes of cinnamon or pumpkin.
● Take the Amtrak from Providence to Boston for a visit to the Public Garden and Back Bay before enjoying a nice dinner in the city!
● Football Sundays are a fall highlight! Boost the mood by bringing a fall-inspired charcuterie board (recipe here) to the gathering & watch the game with a delicious assortment of cheeses, crackers, nuts, and sweets.
● Peruse Pinterest for a fall-inspired recipe (some of my favorites include Butternut Squash with Wild Rice or Pumpkin Burrata Pasta) and venture to your local Trader Joe’s to purchase the necessary ingredients. Light a fall-scented candle (perhaps the Pumpkin Pecan Waffle scent from Bath & Body Works), play a cozy playlist & cook away!
● Go to a pumpkin patch & host a pumpkin carving competition with prizes!
● Visit the Apple Cider Bar in Newport, Rhode Island & admire Ocean Drive while the leaves change their colors!
● Plan a Friendsgiving: identify a location, curate a menu, designate dishes for each guest, & prepare a gratitude game for the evening.

Happy autumn, everyone:)

🌹 Related: 5 Date-Night Ideas That Give Off All The Autumn Vibes!
Maggie Seidel is the President of the Her Campus at Brown chapter. In this role, she oversees and recruits new members and writers, produces content for Pinterest and Instagram, manages the calendar, editorial process, and brand partnerships, leads weekly meetings and outreach, and contributes weekly articles. Maggie studies International & Public Affairs and Entrepreneurship, and she is a current sophomore. She is also a chair on the executive leadership team of Brown University's Women in Business, the Co-Editor-In-Chief of the Intercollegiate Finance Journal, a teaching assistant for an entrepreneurship class at Brown, and a member of Kappa Delta sorority. Her Campus is Maggie's place of happy. She also loves to play tennis, celebrate holidays of any and all kinds, curate new Pinterest boards, and enjoy a leisurely weekend brunch and cup of warm coffee.