Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Date-Night Ideas That Give Off All The Autumn Vibes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

May I have your attention, please! A special announcement has just arrived for this year’s happily-committed girlfriends and/or Cuffing Season hopefuls: the holidays are finally here! Unearth those forgotten sweaters amidst the infamous junk-filled desk chair (don’t deny it, I know you have one), spend an obscene amount of money on your pumpkin-flavored drink of choice and grab that raincoat you’re never going to use…It’s date night! 

Despite the blistering heat wave that would suggest otherwise, autumn has officially begun here in SoCal, ushering in autumn-themed date ideas for hopeless romantics. And if the Hallmark Channel has taught us anything, it’s that the holiday season is the most magical time of year, so embrace any love in the air by trying out one of these Instagram-worthy autumn date ideas with your crush (or your best friend — either way, the goal is to have fun!):

compete in a Pumpkin carving contest
Halloween GIF by Peanuts - Find & Share on GIPHY
Halloween GIF By Peanuts via Giphy

Speaking from personal experience, competing against your partner in a pumpkin carving contest is the number one autumn/Halloween date-night idea out there. Not only do you get to show off your creative side, but you can bond over the carving process, too.

Bonus Points: go to a pumpkin patch beforehand and hand-pick your pumpkins. Then, you can also bake pumpkin seeds afterward to snack on — make a whole day of it!

Visit a local farm
Season 18 Episode 20 GIF by The Simpsons - Find & Share on GIPHY
Season 18 Episode 20 GIF By The Simpsons via Giphy

I know many of you cringed at the word “farm” just now, but hold your judgments of the heat, bugs and dirt for two seconds while I quickly explain. During autumn, many farms host apple-picking in their orchards, self-guided corn mazes and afternoon hayrides through their fields for all to enjoy. These activities are super festive for the autumn season and are definitely worth the minor inconveniences city gals might be dreading. Do it for the love!

go to an amusement park (scary or cute, your choice!)
Horror Nights Dance GIF by Dead Meat James - Find & Share on GIPHY
Horror Nights Dance GIF By Dead Meat James via Giphy

If you want a perfect excuse to hold hands with your date, might I suggest the fear-filled Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios (or any frightening equivalents, such as Knott’s Scary Farm or Six Flags’ Fright Fest)? Obviously, being scared is emotionally bonding (and a cliché, but hey — if it works, it works), but if you’re not much of a horror fan, Fall at Disneyland is an adorably festive option, too!

Fair warning: your wallet may be the one that’s frightened if you choose the Disney route.

Have a Halloween movie marathon
Rebel Wilson Popcorn GIF by NETFLIX - Find & Share on GIPHY
Rebel Wilson Popcorn GIF By NETFLIX via Giphy

More of an indoor gal? Never fear, movie marathons are good for any time of year, but now that we are in the aesthetically pleasing autumn season, fall-themed movies are the perfect way to ring in this time of year with your partner.

Fall film recommendations: Halloweentown series, Charlie Brown Halloween or Thanksgiving, When Harry Met Sally, Hocus Pocus or any of the millions of scary movies you can snuggle up under a blanket with!

try baking a new recipe
Running Away Bake Off GIF by The Great British Bake Off - Find & Share on GIPHY
Running Away Bake Off GIF By The Great British Bake Off via Giphy

I’m not ashamed to admit that this date-night idea was inspired by my unhealthy obsession with Halloween-themed baking shows, but nevertheless, baking with your S.O. is a super sweet way to bond as you work together on something fun and yummy.

Side note: give your dish the Halloween or autumn vibes by making something pumpkin flavored!

Keep in mind, these are only a few festive date-night ideas awaiting the next romantic excursion with your swoon-worthy significant other (or potential partner — I’m rooting for you single ladies, go secure that whirlwind holiday romance so the rest of us can live vicariously through you!). From bike rides and moonlit picnics to baseball games and DIY costume-making, the possibilities are endless; all you have to do is let love lead you where it may. 

Believe it or not, love and happiness are waiting for you with open arms, so even if this year’s holiday season is not romantically meant to be, your time will soon come. Someday you’ll be carving pumpkins every Halloween with the love of your life and you’ll be happier than you ever thought possible. But one piece of advice: never let them win a carving contest! They need to know when the real Queen of Halloween is back in town. 

Grace LaPlante is currently a senior English major at UCLA—she’s a literature lover, music enthusiast and sports fanatic with dreams of traveling the world someday!