This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

There’s a reason why you love fall-scented candles and PSL

As the month of October begins and the cool air begins to fill the atmosphere, we all prepare for our fall favorites from pumpkin spice lattes, sweater weather, football, and apple-picking, to watching the classic Halloween movies. Our obsession with fall isn’t strange or anything new, but in fact stems from science.

Kathryn Lively, a professor of sociology at Dartmouth College, told Huffington Post, “We’re conditioned from a very early age that the autumn comes with all these exciting things.” For many of us growing up, the beginning of September meant back to school and a fresh start bringing a new season. Lively told Huff post, “As children, we come to associate fall with going back to school, new school supplies, seeing friends.” Growing up we’ve experienced a sense of comfort with this repetitive pattern of returning to school for a ritual of activities and learning.

Research also shows that when temperatures get colder, our minds are also allowed to think clearer, and overall boosts brain power. Performing tasks and accomplishing goals are more likely when it gets colder, hence the fresh start in September for school years.

Fall also brings a sense of ease and coziness. As we switch our summer clothes into warmer and more comfy clothes, many humans feel better and more comfortable in their attire of flannel shirts, sweaters, hoodies, etc. We desire the comfort and definiteness in our beloved fall rituals and activities like going pumpkin picking, dressing up for Halloween, watching football, drinking apple cider, buying seasonal products, etc.

The fall season brings us a sense of nostalgia with the fall weather and holidays in the swing. Research has also shown that gloomier weather conditions such as rain and thunder can remind people of feeling nostalgia. Fall can evoke certain nostalgic emotions from past memories, and even give us a sense of warmth.

Bottom-line, there is a completely logical explanation as to why you love fall so much and we’re all here for it!

Ayesha Khan

Buffalo '23

Ayesha is a senior majoring in Neuroscience and minoring in Asian Studies. She has a passion for all things music and enjoys singing in her free time. An Ariana Grande stan who's obsessed with aesthetics, coffee, the Bills, and her cat, Raja.