If you’re anything like me, you’re a sucker for anything and everything Fall themed. Anything from fashion, activities, decor or even food, I’m in. Pumpkin spice is now out at all the coffeeshops, and I couldn’t be happier because it means that Fall is here (even though I must admit that I prefer apple-flavor things…)! What I love the most is all the activities that lead us into the spooky season. While I must admit it’s still a little too early for Halloween adventures, there are plenty of festivals and events for you to enjoy (and maybe make an aesthetic TikTok or two about!). Some of the suggestions are extra incentive to just get outside and to enjoy the soon-to-be cool weather. The good news is that the Garden State offers a variety of things to do, and some are just a short drive from William Paterson’s campus! The options are endless when it comes to filling your free time with fall-related things, but I’ve narrowed it down to a few of my personal favorites:
- Go to a Sunflower Maze – Who doesn’t love sunflowers? If you’re looking to get outside, enjoy beautiful scenery and flowers, take some adorable pictures, then you should definitely check one of these out! I recommend the Sussex County Sunflower Maze.
- Attend a Fall Fair or Craft Show – The cooler temps make the browsing much more enjoyable, and with activities like games, fun street vendors, and delicious food, you simply won’t be able to resist going! Check out the Fall Festival happening in Little Falls this year on Sunday, September 25th!
- Go Apple Picking – Many farms are offering PYO as of Labor Day weekend! You can go out in the fresh air and take some delicious apples home with you! You can them bake them into yummy treats, like pies, cake, applesauce, and more. Wightman Farms is a really good place, and it even offers an adorable shop to buy food based on their produce or adorable decorations.
- Run a Halloween-Themed 5k – It may not be for everyone, but it’s another excuse to wear a costume! It’s a great way to spend some time outside and exercising, and enjoy the upcoming crisp air. Plus, you can even rope your friends in and make it a fun activity for all of you to enjoy! Two that I see around Halloween time are the Rugged Pumpkin Run in Pennsylvania and the Deal Trick or Trot in New Jersey.
- Attend a Farmer’s Market – Lots of healthy food and handmade items to buy! Farmer’s markets’ have fresh produce that is always in season, and offer fantastic prices. There’s one right near campus in Haledon; go check it out!