Step-by-step: A Beginner’s Guide to Running

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Why Run?

First of all, running is free! Unlike signing up to the gym, outdoor running doesn’t require monthly fees. Running around Bristol will give you a chance to explore the city’s areas of cultural vibrancy and natural beauty – the visual distractions of such a diverse place can often make a tough run much easier. It’s also a great way to de-stress or to take a break from an overwhelming workload. While running can be hard to get into at first, with perseverance, you will see your endurance and speed gradually improve even after just a few runs. Nothing really compares to the endorphin-induced buzz of a good run; whether it’s beating your personal best or getting up early enough to run as the sun is rising which gives you that high, it’s a hobby and sport which can really make you appreciate the things your body can do and the world around you.

Getting Going

I really believe that running has made me a happier person and I am keen to share some tips on how to get started. So…

Before

–          Get yourself some supportive, well-fitting trainers. Bad footwear can cause really painful injuries that are difficult to fix. You need shoes with enough cushioning to protect your body from the repetitive impact of running. In terms of running clothing, anything that’s comfy, stretchy and not too heavy is perfect. Small pockets can be useful for storing essentials such as keys or an iPod.

–          Plan a route – I often use MapMyRun. If you’re feeling uninspired, it highlights popular routes in your area, or you have the option to design and tailor your own specific route. Think about where you want to run; somewhere hilly or flat? Over pavement, road or grass? In the bustling heart of the city or somewhere a bit less crowded? When thinking about your first run, start small distance-wise. (More on the best running routes in Bristol to follow!)

–          Prepare distractions. Music is an obvious one, but the right tune really can be motivating (for me, it has to be Otis Redding’s album Love Man). Radio podcasts or audiobooks can also avert your attention from a challenging run – I don’t think Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter will ever get old. Alternatively, think about whether you want to keep it natural and chuck the headphones in exchange for keeping your eyes and ears alert to the distractions of Bristol itself.

–          Fuel and hydrate. I tend to run in the mornings and find that a small snack like a banana or some toast is enough to fuel me until I come back for a proper, mammoth breakfast. Taking a water bottle running is also a good idea.

–          Stretch! Use Google or YouTube to find some pre-run stretching exercises to make sure you’re warmed up before you head out.

During

The beauty of running is that it’s basically just as simple as getting outside, putting one foot in front of the other and going for it. That said, there are some things to watch for as you begin running:

–          Breathe steady! In through your nose, out through your mouth. Make sure that your music isn’t too loud – sometimes it’s helpful to hear if you’re struggling for air so that you can try and regulate your breathing a bit more.

–          Try and push through the first fifteen minutes or so. This is often the hardest and most painful bit of running.

–          Catch your breath and walk for a bit if you need to. Use waiting at traffic lights and crossing roads as opportunities to take breaks.

–          Or, if you find that stopping and starting only makes the run more difficult, try running “through” your craving to take a break and see if the need passes.

–          Try and take notice of the world around you. It’s amazing how much you can miss out on when you’re in a rush or have a specific place to be. The sky, the trees and the people you run past are often so interesting and beautiful to look at, even if it’s a rainy day.

After

–          You did it! Congratulate yourself, even if at first you only manage to run for a little while. Remember even experienced runners face tough runs occasionally – one bad run doesn’t mean you won’t enjoy the next one.

–          Stretch. Again, you can Google or YouTube post-running stretches so that your body doesn’t seize up.

–          Refuel! I enjoy recovering with protein-packed but carby meals and snacks like eggs on toast and peanut butter and banana milkshakes.

If you find that running might just be your thing, here are a few tips to help you to keep on enjoying it…

–          Try putting thought into your runs and see what works for you. Some people find it easier to run in the morning on a relatively empty stomach, others run at night to relax after a long day. Many like the exhilaration of fast, short sprints, while longer, leisurely runs can be equally rewarding. Varying your routes can stop running from becoming monotonous.

–          Be careful with how much you plan to run. Running too much can be really harmful for your body – you don’t want to give yourself shin splints! If you’re just starting out, aim for one or two runs a week, maybe 15-20 minutes long. Then, as you begin to feel more comfortable, you can try and push for longer durations and distances, maybe three or four times a week. Plan to increase your speed and distance gradually and give yourself manageable targets. Perhaps sign up to a 5 or 10k if you feel that would motivate you.

–          Balance out running, a high-impact sport, with exercise like Yoga and Pilates, which both help to strengthen and stretch your muscles. There are plenty of quick and easy to follow routines on the internet, which keep running cost-free.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4

Sophie is a second year English student who enjoys running and being lazy in equal amounts. She  also loves cooking, charity shop hunting and watching Scandinavian dramas. She's a feminist and in the future she would love to try and help promote healthier ideas about body image and eating.