This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

As we are nearing the end of the semester, I have found myself to be in quite the rut. With deadlines piling up before Thanksgiving and final exam reviews, it seems like my to-do list is never-ending. This, obviously, would cause anyone a significant amount of stress. I don’t know about you, but I’m a Leo Moon, and this stuff is not for the faint of heart. As soon as I felt myself getting overwhelmed, I knew I was about to shut down. Readers of Her Campus, do not follow this example.

Instead, let us direct our attention to the solution! After a very unproductive week of laying in bed and watching The Cabin in the Woods, I decided it was time to shift the spotlight back on myself and my needs. I wanted to try nearly every trick in the book; something to just make me feel better. While some remedies are simpler than others, I can confidently say that taking this time off to rest and recharge, overall, has made me more productive and calm throughout the workday. Taking time for yourself often allows for this stress to not pile up, and, if you’re like me, bottle up until you just can’t take it anymore.

So, friends, I have devised a list of easy remedies to take a moment and relax. Remember your worth is not based on your academics, and always remember to take care of yourself.

How to Chill OUt

1. Get some mood lighting. Overhead lights can be hard on the eyes, especially after a long night of studying or staring at a screen. When you’re taking time to relax, dim the lights. You don’t necessarily have to turn them completely off (unless it’s time for a nap), but give your eyes some time to rest. I have LED lights in my room that I set to a dim orange, and I light a candle. Desk lamps work, too! Here is a link to a cheap sunlight lamp on Amazon.
  2. Meditate. Taking time for a mental check-in is crucial to developing skills in mindfulness and gratitude. Earlier this semester, I took a deep dive into mindfulness meditation after experiencing one of the worst academic burnouts I have ever felt. Check out this HerCampus article written by yours truly, where I recommend specific types of meditation and provide links to online guides.
  3. Move your body. Our bodies are our own personal machines that we use in order to interact with the world around us. When our machine is functioning like we are used to, it can be hard to keep up with daily tasks or hobbies that we once loved. To start, maybe stretch after you get out of bed. Then, while you’re up, you might as well make your bed. This little bit of movement gets our blood flowing and gives an energy boost to our days. At the end of the day, take time with your body to scan for what you need to address. If there is additional tension in your shoulders, take time to do some shoulder rolls before laying down for the night. Time spent on you is time well-spent.
  4. Talk to friends. At the end of it all, sometimes all we need is some good, ole-fashioned human interaction to feel a little less alone. Trust me when I say that you are not alone in your feelings, and sharing them with the people you trust and love can definitely help release any emotional or mental blockages you have been experiencing. It could be as simple as sending a funny face to the Snapchat group chat you’ve had since freshman year of high school. It is important to check-in with the people you love; they care about you, too. They want you to succeed, and opening up to them might be the thing you need in order to feel a bit better.
  5. Sleep. Sleep is so underrated! It is the way our body rests and recharges for each day. Make sure you are getting enough energy from meals throughout the day, but, if your body is calling for rest – don’t deny it! You will function much better with rest, and pushing yourself when it comes to your academics is not worth the stress it puts on your body. Those sleepy, delusional essays can wait for the morning.

And so, my friends of HerCampus, I advise you to embark on your own “chillax” endeavors. By following some of these tips, I have been able to work smarter, not harder and I feel like I am actually enjoying my academics again. Remember you are worth more than your grades, and that you are important!

Erin Anderson

Bowling Green '25

Erin is a Junior at Bowling Green State University, where she is majoring in Adolescent/Young Adult Education (Integrated Language Arts). Alongside being Senior Editor for the group, she loves to write about astrology, self-love, spirituality, and mental health.