Wellness > Mental Health

HIGHLY SENSITIVE PERSONS (HSP): IT’S NOT A BAD THING

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Growing up, I can always remember being told,

“Stop being so sensitive!”

This led me to believe that being sensitive was a negative trait to hold. After doing a quick search on what it means to be sensitive, I realized that this word holds multiple meanings.

definitions:

• “A person that may be easily upset by things people say or do, or cause others to be upset, embarrassed or angry.”
  • “To be sensitive means to respond or be influenced by the environment, either physically or emotionally.”  
  • “A sensitive person may be able to understand what people are feeling and deal with them in a way that does not upset them.”

While I know I haven’t covered every meaning of the term sensitive, these are the three that resonated with me. More specifically, the third bullet point stood out to me the most.

having “thick skin

While I find the importance in exchanging jokes and laughs with my closest friends and family, making fun of or deliberately tearing down a person has never been my form of showing love. In past relationships, I have found it difficult to navigate what is acceptable and what is uncalled for. Where should the line be drawn? The term, “having thick skin” is another common phrase in my family. Growing up with two older brothers, this is something I experienced often. Being roughened up, laughed at, or even teased was constantly difficult for me to take in. Why is this behavior accepted without question? Am I to blame for being so sensitive?

This most recent Christmas, my mom gifted me a book titled, The Highly Sensitive; How to Find Inner Peace, Develop Your Gifts and Thrive by Judy Dyer. For starters, my first reaction to receiving this gift was to be offended. In the introduction, the author explains, “You might be confused by the term, ‘highly sensitive.’ In some places, being called ‘sensitive’ is an insult, so you may be wondering whether it’s a curse to be born an HSP.” This intro alone made me feel seen and understood.

let mereassureyou

There’s absolutely no denying that HSPs face some big challenges—we are much more sensitive than the world around us! However, this book has opened my eyes and allowed me to make peace with my gift. If you identify as an HSP, I’m here, with the help of Judy Dyer, to reassure you that you aren’t a freak, and you certainly are not deficient in any way.

In fact, many people would love to possess our empathy, appreciation of the fine arts, and capacity to ponder life’s big questions. It’s well worth your time to understand your sensitive nature. Identifying as an empath and being a HSP can typically go hand in hand.

Speaking from my own experiences, as an empath, I often face feelings of exhaustion and being overwhelmed with my thoughts and feelings. I encourage anyone who relates to this to do your own research and inform yourself on why you feel the way you do.

in conclusion: embrace your authenticity

The only thing stopping you from becoming your authentic self is a lack of knowledge. From Judy Dyer, “You need to know exactly who you are so you can tap into the resources that have been lying dormant within you.”

To my fellow highly sensitive persons and empaths alike, you are not crazy, and you are not alone!

• Do you feel and understand energy?
  • Are you lead by your intuition?
  • Do you believe in complete honesty?
  • Are you able to pick up on other people’s moods or motives?
  • Do you have the need to recharge and relax alone on a regular basis?

Much like Judy explains, you do not have to answer, “Yes!” to every question above in order to qualify as an HSP. Trust your intuition and investigate yourself. If this article resonates with you, I encourage you to seek out the book I’ve mentioned, The Highly Sensitive; How to Find Inner Peace, Develop Your Gifts and Thrive.

What Is the Meaning of Being Sensitive? (medicinenet.com)

SENSITIVE | English meaning – Cambridge Dictionary

Sensitive Definition & Meaning – Merriam-Webster

The Highly Sensitive: How to Find Inner Peace, Develop Your Gifts, and Thrive by Judy Dyer, Paperback | Barnes & Noble® (barnesandnoble.com)

Lenox McConaughey

Bowling Green '25

My name is Lenox McConaughey, and I am currently a junior at Bowling Green State University, majoring in Graphic Design! I started off my education journey at The University of Akron my freshman year, but soon realized I was missing something in my college experience. Since I've transferred to BGSU, I have felt safe, secure, and welcomed! This year, I'm manifesting growing my connections and relationships. I was originally a Marketing major, however, I am still planning to minor in Business. In my free time, I enjoy journaling and drawing. I have recently become interested in meditating and I love anything involved with nature. I find it important to be in nature, even if it's going outside to feel the grass inbetween your toes. I spent this summer working two jobs! One of them consisted of an internship opportunity, while another was a job that I've held for over five years now. The internship allowed me to get a feel of the office environment, and I was also given the chance to design a few projects for them. This consisted of designing volunteer flyers, invitations and even a new employee handbook. Throughout these experiences, I have learned that I am a people person! I enjoy connecting with others as well as offering my help wherever I can.